• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sancho

scolobey

Can we discuss Sancho a little here? In every kitchen I've ever worked in, if you sneeze, somebody calls out his name. He is one of my favorite kitchen characters, and I'm finding that a lot of cooks don't even know who he is. I mean, Sublime sang about him, but I didn't realize how important he was until I worked in a kitchen. Anybody else come across a cook who doesn't have a clue who Sancho is?sancho.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Lol, Sancho.

To the unitiated, a "sancho" is mexican/spanish slang for the guy who your wife/GF is cheating on you with. The reason people call out "sancho" when you sneeze is because when you come home from work (say a couple hours early) the Sancho runs and hides in your closet or whatever, but when he sneezes he gives himself away. So when you sneeze and all the Hisapnics call out "sancho" its because that is how you know a sancho is in your house.

Pretty funny stuff.

A sancho can also be a kind of slang (what is that called? Slangier?) for someone who is nice to your face but talks or acts differently behind your back. Like, a sancho might shake your hand at church or at a party, but as soon as you go to work he sneaks in the back way, eats your food and bangs your wife.

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually never heard that description about the sneeze before. I like that a lot. I like to think of Sancho as a sort of screwed up Santa Clause. A good friend of mine taught me that Sancho shoud always be appreciated. Basically, we all have our Sancho's, and nobody should be ashamed of that. Accept it, and always keep extra beer in the fridge for when he pays your lady a visit.http://everybodyplayswithfood.com/?p=49