• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Magnetic Knife holders

Paul Bacino

Need to get some? What do I need to look for?

I have always had a block, is this the best way?

Where should I look?

I'm looking for about 24"

Thanks

I have one that is about that size, and it works very well, Has no brand on it, I got it at a restrauntsupply place,and it was pretty cheap,as I recall..Its screwed to the wall on the end of the counter top and has14 knives on it.

Bud

I have a pair of 24" German-made knife magnets, which I absolutely love and which are far more versatile and space-saving than blocks would ever be (I got my first magnet when I got my big cleavers and Nakiri, which wouldn't fit in any block and which I didn't want to put in a drawer, for obvious reasons....) Mine have plastic housings and screw into the wall/cabinet, and handily have three optional hooks that slot in on the underneath, where I hang my steels. On two strips, I have 18 rather large knives. I will shortly be purchasing a third to house my paring knife collection - I have finite counter space, but lovely big expanses of wall.

Obviously, my source for these things is completely useless to anybody outside of Ecuador; I got my magnets for about $15 each at Termalimex of Quito. I'd suspect that any well-stocked or even reasonably respectable restaurant supply store would have them in a variety of sizes and finishes.

Edited to fix a non sequitur.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I almost bought one a couple weeks ago made by Bisbell... It has a thin strip of wood cladding over the magnet so it looks like the knives are sticking to a block of wood. I love the look of the bamboo one ,the beechwood one was a bit light coloured for my taste.

http://www.bisbellusa.com/pro-2.html

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Question..

is one strong " Bar "enough or do you need a high and low purchase on the blade? ie 270 mm

Cheers thanks for everything!!

themagnet will be strong enough for most anything you will put on it...(at least mine is...

Bud

Question..

is one strong " Bar "enough or do you need a high and low purchase on the blade? ie 270 mm

Cheers thanks for everything!!

One bar is enough, even for cleavers and large knives. Two is for hanging up small swords and axes, things the size of machete and pombo blades.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

You may want to try this:

Get some rare earth (Neodymium) magnets on eBay and glue them under the cabinet some place. These are extremely powerful magnets, capable of hanging your knives by their tips along. Better space saving than those magnetic bars you buy.

Or you can salvage from your old hard drives. There are two rare earth magnets inside.

dcarch

7fb3255f.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)

dcarch that neodymium knife holder is amazing! does it hurt the points?

No it does no damage to the tips, but you can alway put a piece of duct tape on the magnet. As one other post above stated, normal magnetic holders can scratch knife surfaces. I like this because the knives dry better and I can hang more knives in the same space.

There is one "problem" with this rare earth magnet. It magnetizes your carbon knives. When you sharpen your knife, it picks up the iron filings and you have to wipe them away.

dcarch

Two thoughts:

- I like the wooden slotted knife holders that you can put into a drawer. They don't damage the edges & keep your knives out of sight. I put mine in a top shallow drawer; this is handy.

- None of the magnetic holders work with ceramic knives. I am increasingly turning to ceramics as they're very sharp & keep their edge. They only drawback I've encountered is that they snap easily id much lateral pressure is applied.