• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Masters: Season 4

Shalmanese

The new season of Top Chef Masters started last night. What does everyone think of the new season?

Personally, I'm disappointed at how this show continues to go downhill. The gimmicks tonight were lame and the "buffet" challenge wasn't really a buffet, it was just the same catering challenge we've seen on every previous TC. I'm fine with crazy challenges with ridiculous constraints but I wish they would up the quality of the judging. James Oseland and Ruth Reichl are as delightful as ever but I don't really feel the need to hear the opinion of a bunch of kids like last season and the quickfire judges are also almost always worthless.

PS: I am a guy.

I watched the quickfire challenge and called it a night. I don't like the format so far. I'll watch the whole episode on Saturday and decide if I want to get invested.

Plus Curtis Stone? Haven't we seen enough of him?

Welcome to another season of the Top Chef Catering Service. Enjoy the show! :hmmm:

The "Masters" this season seem to mostly be more experienced versions of the regular show's competitors.

3 cents... adjusted for infation...

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I too am not a fan of Curtis Stone, he just comes across as insubstantial and inoffensive.

The main challenge wasn't a buffet, just another catering gig. The real problem was that all of the random time constraints plus the theme switch, and its associated ingredient issues, just deflated any potential people might have had to make something truly interesting. I really got the feeling that the contestants were just trying to get something edible out.

I think a good challenge should foster creativity, we aren't seeing anything like that. We're also not getting very good deconstruction of the dishes from the judges, either. The producers need to step up here and make some changes.

Overall the first episode just felt bland and dumbed-down. Which is doubly sad because for the Masters series' I want to see more advanced techniques and more interesting final products.

Episode 3: It was nice to see Brian Boitano on the quickfire. His show was the last thing that I have honestly had fun watching on Food Network. It was also fun to see Shibuya, I have enjoyed visiting there in the past and it was fun seeing their kitchen.

I think the team that won had the best strategy, they were forced to use a tool so, they each did things that they did best. They didn't try to make an unfamiliar cuisine just to match the tool (teppan griddle). Chef Rautureau's dish looked delicious, I was jealous of the judges for being able to taste it. Go dessert!