• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial vs Domestic Microwave Oven

blackp

My microwave is starting to make strange noises so I'm assuming that a replacement is on the agenda soon. I've read a bit about domestic microwaves with no turntable and seen conflicting feedback, but generally negative.

I'm wondering if it is worth the expense to invest in a commercial microwave (no turntable). I understand that higher power doesn't mean faster defrosting, but faster cooking or heating should be possible. I have read that some commercial ovens use dual magnetrons to ensure that the microwaves are well distributed, but some other models use a fan to stir the microwaves around.

The only advice I have been given is predictable: Commercial shops tell me that the commercial ovens are much better / stronger / faster etc. etc. and the retail shops tell me that the commercial models are too expensive and not needed in a domestic situation. Seems like everyone is a supporter of whatever they sell :sad:

Has anyone had experience with commercial microwaves? Do they really work any differently from domestic versions? Is spending perhaps 4 to 5 times the price worth the investment or a waste of money?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Seems like the newer microwaves work much better than the old ones. My dad has a new microwave that seems to do things in half the time my old unit does. I wouldn't spend the extra money myself.

Why no turntable?

My guess is that you can put larger and or square items into the oven combined with the fact that there is only a flat surface to clean in the event of any spills. Side benefit is there is no fragile turntable to break, and in my case it is the turntable part of my MW which is causing the noise - must be a bearing or similar, so with no turntable that part cannot break down.

No idea why, but all of the commercial MWO's I've seen have no turntable. There must be a reason!

I guess it depends what you use your microwave for, and how often. A 1700-1800 W commercial model might cook/heat faster than a higher-powered domestic one (1200-1350 W), but do you actually need that extra speed? It's a microwave, after all, so it's really a matter of quick and quicker. Is it worth spending many times the money? Think of it another way: You'd have to have four or five domestic units die on you before it outweighed the cost of one commercial unit (which didn't die).

This is a guess, but I suspect the lack of a turntable is related, at least in part, to restaurant-based sanitation requirements.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 11 months later...

...in my case it is the turntable part of my MW which is causing the noise...

The turntable on our microwave is supported three little wheels on a ring between the turntable and the floor of the oven. Any little grit (such as bread crumbs) that gets on the surface the wheels run on can make for noise (a surprising amount) as the wheels roll over it. And the wheels get dirty, with an irregular buildup of stuff that means they bump each time they rotate-- twice, once on the turntable and once on the oven floor-- which produces a sort of low rumble. Don't know if your microwave turntable is supported in the same way, but if it is, check for grit on the oven floor and roughness on the little wheels.

(I know this post is a year late, but maybe it will help someone else.)

Edited by DickL (log)

Dick in Northbrook, IL

All the nukers I have had with turntables, all the turntables quit within a year.

If your turntable dies but the nuker still works, you can buy this thing

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-MIcrowave-Micro-Go-Round-Inch/dp/B00004W4UT/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2LASTH4B7FJ3M&coliid=IKZSN5ES99603

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

As stated by another poster earlier the newer microwaves have come a long way. We recently purchased a new Panasonic 2.2 ft.³ 1250 W unit that we really love. The biggest advantage is the new Inverter Technology (developed by Panasonic but now used by some others). Inverter Technology means that the unit actually runs at lower power when you set it for a reduced output instead of cycling like the older microwaves did. When you defrost with these it's much more even in the edges don't end up getting cooked and rubbery like they did with the old technology. Because of the size the turntable will allow you to use a 13 x 9 pan with no problem! Seems like a much better investment than going for a commercial unit.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

• 1 month later...

I've recently moved into my new apartment and would eventually like to replace the small, somewhat low powered, microwave oven that I've been using.

Ideally, an oven with about 1,000 watts would be ideal - more is OK, too - the one I have now is only 700 watts. I'd also like to be able to use the oven with a full-size dinner plate - the one I have now won't do that as it has just a .7 cu. ft. capacity.

Also, it would be great to have an oven with inverter technology.

Space is at a premium. There's only about 12-inches of depth and 14-inches of height to work with.

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

12 inch depth is not possible.

dcarch

The unit I now have is sitting comfortably on a 12-inch shelf, although the front of the unit extends slightly over the shelf.

... Shel

Knowing the following would be helpful:

- how often do you use the microwave

- what are you most often using it for

I use mine a lot for both re-heating, popcorn, and cooking some vegetables. Sometimes several times a day. I just go to the Home Center like Home Depot and see what is on sale in the size I want. Generally $100 or less. The needs to replace arose from teenager operator gross error not from faults of the MW. I have a GE JES1139WL03 which is 1100 Watt. I realize that is too deep for you. What I was suggesting is that seeing what is available locally and fits your needs at a good price can be the simplest answer rather than shopping for a specific make or model.

Much of microwave success has to do with learning how to best use it in various applications.

Edited by heidih (log)

12 inch depth is not possible.

dcarch

The unit I now have is sitting comfortably on a 12-inch shelf, although the front of the unit extends slightly over the shelf.

Not possible for a mid size 1,000 watt one.

Not possible also because you want a full size dinner plate, the front door can be close to one inch thick. Some model with power cable in the back which can take another inch of back space.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

Not possible for a mid size 1,000 watt one.

Not possible also because you want a full size dinner plate,

dcarch

Ahh, I understand your point now. Thanks for clarifying.

... Shel

Space is at a premium. There's only about 12-inches of depth and 14-inches of height to work with.

I haven't seen the space, so my comment might be irrelevant. I had a depth issue with a DVD player. The fix was a (relatively) thin, inflexible sheet or board secured at the back (by screws) that extended the depth of the shelf. A longer shelf secured by the shorter shelf, if you will. If you are renting, any holes created could be filled easily. From a stability standpoint, I'd bet this could extend the depth to 18 inches at least. But whether it is would work depends on your circumstances.

I haven't seen the space, so my comment might be irrelevant. I had a depth issue with a DVD player. The fix was a (relatively) thin, inflexible sheet or board secured at the back (by screws) that extended the depth of the shelf. A longer shelf secured by the shorter shelf, if you will. If you are renting, any holes created could be filled easily. From a stability standpoint, I'd bet this could extend the depth to 18 inches at least. But whether it is would work depends on your circumstances.

Great minds think alike :smile:

... Shel

The biggest thing we found very useful with our new microwave is the Inverter technology. It provides much more consistent heating and defrosting it really changes the usability of a microwave. The technology was developed by Panasonic but several other vendors now utilize it under license from them. You should be able to find about any size microwave you want with that technology. The one we bought is the biggest one that Panasonic makes because we use it built-in but they also have several smaller models with the same technology. Their controls are also very easy to use and the price is reasonable.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.