• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 days in Napa, 3 days in SF and 6 days in Monterey

eldereno

Bring on the recommendations!!!! All times of day, all price ranges. Would like to eat well, see cool places! I am travelling with 3 other people, all interested in good food, wine, good times. None of us have been there before. Only one reservation made so far, to The Girl and the Fig restaurant in Sonoma the evening we arrive, 8/1/12.

TIA, Donna

Donna

I did a food/restaurant trip in SF in April and Saison chef's table was far and away the best meal I've had anywhere. It's expensive though. Also tried Coi, Manresa, Benu, Crenn, Zuni Cafe, Incanto, and Chez Panisse. They were all great with Chez Panisse being the only average one but Saison was miles ahead of the others to our tastes.

Just had a terrific lunch Saturday at Bottega in Yountville followed with great pastries from Bouchon Bakery. Bouchon and Ad Hoc also need consideration.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

I've got friends and family in the area and visit often.

And I never miss a stop at Prager Port Works: http://www.pragerport.com/

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

if you crave dim sum, recommend Yank Sing at the Rincon Center.

Grab a few jars of their chili sauce to take home, it's addictive (i brought home 6). Just ate there 2 days ago.

if your looking for peruvian - La Mar Cebicheria Peruana It's very nice.

We like Boulevard a lot, eat there fairlly regularly

Ate at Chez Panisse - it was nice, but i'm not dying to go back.

Ate at Gary Danko - it was nice, but i'm not dying to go back.

we like the clam chowder in a bread bowl from Boudin Bakery.

There is a restaurant in downtown Monterey that has amazing "squid steaks", quite memorable. I've been told these steaks are are made from the large squid caught in the bay (the bodies, not the tentacles, obviously). Not a fancy place, IIRC, it is called "Monterey Fish House". I have always been disappointed with the seafood served at the restaurants on the Pier. If you are not from CA, the weekly farmer's market in Monterey should not be missed.

Edited by kbjesq (log)

Napa - Bouchon Bakery is a must. Love, love, love Morimoto. Bistro Don Giovanni is a classic.

SF - I don't even know where to start! And only 3 days? Love: Prospect, Coi, Wayfar Tavern, Quince, La Mar, SPQR, Amelie (wine bar - hop over to Bob's across the street around midnight for the best, fresh out of the fryer, donuts), Bisou, Ozumo, Incanto, Frances, Starbelly, Farina, PIQ (Berkeley - best bread ever), Ike's Place, Bi-Rite Creamery, Tony's Pizza Naploetana, Katana-Ya, Cotogna, Art's Cafe (famous for hashbrown sandwich), Baker and Banker, Kappou Gomi, Kingdom of Dumpling, A16, Super Duper, Arizmendi.....

If you're doing the drive from Monterrey to San Francisco, or the other way, there's a fine old restaurant (perfect for lunch) named Duarte's Tavern, in the town of Pescadero, snuggled in the hills north of Santa Cruz. Been there forever, and their artichoke soup is the best I've ever had...they also do some fine, local seafood.

I don't see it mentioned, but we had a great meal at Commonwealth (and they have a little parking lot!). We also enjoyed Cotogna. And for breakfast/lunch, Plow, up on Potrero Hill was fabulous - we went a few times over the course of a week.

Here's what I wrote about Commonwealth and Duarte's.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?