• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sarson da saay

Naftal

I just learned that a common weed in my neighborhood (Chenopodium Album) is the main ingredient of this dish. Can anyone give me a recipe for Sarson da saay? I used the latin name because this plant has many common names.I do know that this plant is sometimes refered to as mustard greens and there is a curry dish that cooks this item with onions and potatos. I do not know if this is is the same dish.If they are different, I'd like to know both recipes.This plant is known as Bathua or Bathuwa in India. Thanks!

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Bathua is not the same as mustard greens. Mustard greens are called sarson in Hindi and Punjabi, hence the name of the dish sarson da saag (saag -not saay - being pretty much any greens).

However, bathua grows as a weed throughout northern India and is indeed sold and cooked as a vegetable. Since it is often found growing along with mustard greens, traditionally the two types of greens could often be cooked together. If you see a sarson da saag recipe calling for mustard greens and spinach, substitute bathua for the spinach.

• 4 weeks later...

Bathua is not the same as mustard greens. Mustard greens are called sarson in Hindi and Punjabi, hence the name of the dish sarson da saag (saag -not saay - being pretty much any greens).

However, bathua grows as a weed throughout northern India and is indeed sold and cooked as a vegetable. Since it is often found growing along with mustard greens, traditionally the two types of greens could often be cooked together. If you see a sarson da saag recipe calling for mustard greens and spinach, substitute bathua for the spinach.

Thank you so much for this information. It clarified things. Now if only I could find a recipe.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

• 9 months later...

It's sarson da saag not saay. It's the most delicious and tatsy food of the North India. Specially it's the traditional dish of Punjab. It is served with butter and maize chappati (makki ki roti). It is cooked by chooping the mustard green and then boil in pressure cooker for some time and then you can use maize flour for making thick it and then after cooked by using onions that must be in large quntaity as compared to other dishes and other ingredients like jeera, daniya, chilly powder (indian names) etc. according to your taste.

Edited by ericparkr (log)

This is a recipe from Indian chef and cookbook author Ruta Kahate.

SPICY INDIAN GREENS
Adapted recipe from Ruta Kahate
In a large pot, combine 2 lbs pared & chopped up mustard greens; 1/2 lb spinach; 2-inch piece of fresh gingerroot, peeled, then chopped or grated; 2-3 serrano chile peppers, trimmed and sliced; 4 cups water; approx 2 tsp salt. Boil down this mixture until only 1 cup of liquid is left at the bottom of the pot. Puree in a blender. Return mixture to the pot and place over moderate heat. Combine with 2 TB fine corn flour and 1 stick of unsalted butter (4 oz). Taste and adjust for salt. Serve with flatbreads.

I first tasted this dish at a cooking class that Ruta gave on Indian breads. I was overwhelmed by the wonderfulness of this dish, and asked Ruta for the recipe. Then I almost keeled over when she told me how much butter is in it. Ruta told me sternly that if I wanted to replicate the taste, I had to add that much butter. Well, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. The dish still tastes good with less butter.

• 1 month later...