• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wrapping it up with rice paper

dcarch

Rice paper is easy and fun to use. Whatever ingredients and leftovers you have just wrap it up. You don't always have to have a recipe.

What have you made with rice paper?

A few I have made:

Beef Pancake

Deep fried rice paper and garden tomatoes.

Chicken “Dumplings”

Spring Roll with Snow crab meat, on Squash and Black Rice

dcarch

06fa659c.jpg

54b93153.jpg

412cfa35.jpg

4ca0b25a.jpg

091266ea.jpg

f4758d3d.jpg

ccc92ab0.jpg

d5c71a56.jpg

75ef9efa.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Rice paper can be steamed, fried and deep fried, depending on the recipes.

However, using a waffle iron, I may be the first one. LOL!

It is so quick, easy using a non-stick waffle iron.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

I wish I'd seen this before frustrating myself close to tears over the weekend trying to make gluten free dumplings for a dinner party. No matter what the composition of my dough, I could not keep it from cracking. Thanks for the great idea.

Edited by TylerK (log)

Love your ideas especially since rice paper lasts "forever". Keeping bread, rolls, wraps etc. in the house (and fresh) when you live alone is a real challenge. I always have rice paper on hand.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Don't have too many brilliant ideas, but one tip that may be helpful to some: when deep-frying rice paper (for example, when making Viet style deep-fried rice-paper spring rolls (imperial rolls)), I've heard hydrating the rice paper in beer rather than water will give crispier results. Aside from spring rolls, deep-frying rice paper gives a nice texture which could make a good "skin" for a lot of things.

And this is probably obvious to many, but... don't put anything made with soaked rice paper in the fridge afterwards. It will ruin the texture.