• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WHY doesn't Lays sell their Bacon flavored chips in the USA?

SpaghettiWestern

When i use to live near Canada..... i shopped there ALL the time and one of the things i would bring back was Lays BACON flavored chips. NOT the BLT chips that they have released now..... Just smokey BACON !

They are to DIE for ! i miss them SO much !

WHY dont they sell them here in the USA?

they have everything else.... BUT BACON !

are they afraid of offending people that dont eat pork?

AND..... i havent seen anyone ELSE making Bacon flavored chips either.

what gives ?

its something thats just NOT available here in this country.

ok.... am i wrong? is there a company making them that i havent discovered ?

please dont tell me to try and make them myself.

i'm not interested in doing THAT !

EVER ! lol

so? does anyone have any idea why they arent sold here?

i dont know if they would even give me a straight answer if i called Lays and asked. lol

I was shocked when we came to Canada over all the different flavored potato chips here. Ketchup? Curry? Bacon? Plus innumerable other flavors too strange to even remember.

Speaking as a USA-er, I have a certain puritanical purist streak when it comes to potato chips. Plain salted is best. Occasional forays into BBQ or sour cream/onion are acceptable if you're living wild or are young. Otherwise, no, not done, sorry.

On the other hand, I've noticed Nanaimo Bars in Toronto anyway (and the BC ferries) are the classic vanilla only. Whereas in northern WA State, you can get raspberry, peanut butter, Bailey's Irish Cream, coffee, etc. Perhaps Canadians are purists about their N.B.s in the same way Americans are purists about chips?

I am trying to imagine what the Smoked Ham and Pickle chips taste like, and I just can't imagine it. If I ever see them in a British Import store I will have to try them.

Anybody know what is the deal with "Handcooked" potato chips? It kinda disturbs me :shock:

I like the bacon and cheddar flavoured chips when I see them, which isn't very often anymore...they seem to be hard to find. I heard through the grocery store gossip, that some potato chip companies (or one in particular) have made a deal with some of the larger grocery stores to cut out the competition, so some of the unique flavours are getting harder to find.

I had never heard of bacon flavored chips but I found these at the British Isles store in the Village. Is Tayto's a good brand? I'm going to try to get over there tomorrow and see if they have them in stock.

Here's the entire Crisps and Snacks category. I think I'll have to try some others, too. Maybe the Haggis and Cracked Black Pepper.

I miss Canada's plethora of flavoured chips! Ketchup and Salt n Vinegar particularly, but I was also quite fond of Bacon, and also Dill Pickle (they're really good!)

Although down here, I can often get Mayonnaise and Roast Chicken flavoured chips, and I've had some really good Creamy Mushroom ones that came with little packets of sauce inside....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Yes.... i am well aware of the chips in Great Britian. in fact they call them crisps. i have family there and i well know about

WALKERS SMOKEY BACON CRISPS !

in fact .... i once ordered them from a british store online some years back. ..... a WHOLE case of them !

i savoured ever bite.

still..... that is not something i care to do over and over again to satisfy my cravings for smokey bacon chips.

i guess i'll just have to wait for Lays.... or some company to come round to bacon flavoured chips here in the USA.

I am trying to imagine what the Smoked Ham and Pickle chips taste like, and I just can't imagine it. If I ever see them in a British Import store I will have to try them.

Hm... one smoked ham chip, one pickle chip, one Swiss cheese chip... Cubano in chip form!