• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bonbons and Demon Summer Humidity

HELP me please. During summers past, I may have lost a few bonbons to the humidity, but this year, I am losing whole trays. I keep them in a temperature controlled display case, with the bulk of them in the cold room and yet the fleur de sel is going to water, the sugar is puddling and they look sticky. Any suggestions please.

Does the cooler in your display cost have the ability to dehumidify? It may be possible to place some sponges near the refrigerant condensor to absorb moisture.

While there are several ways to further reduce humidity, the most convenient is the addition of a cartridge of reusable silica desiccant to the case. Depending on the degree of airflow in and out of you display, an inexpensive carton of beads will keep humidity at very reasonable levels for 24 hours or more. The cartridges, once saturated, are then dried in a conventional oven for re-use.

They're affordable, too.

http://desiccantsonl...d&productId=321

Edited by jrshaul (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a baker or confectioner (?), but when our OLD fridge, that we had when I was a kid, leaked water on the floor in the kitchen, we blamed the dog, :shock:

but the a.c. guy said it just needed freon. How old is your unit? That might relate to the odor problem, too. Freon stinks!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"