• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lapsang Souchong – who has the best?

Naftal

I love lapsang souchong tea. And I am always on the look-out for a better brew. I know Zhi Tea makes a nice one. Does anyone else know of a really good one?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

• 3 months later...

I use a lot of Lapsang Souchong in cooking. I have tried numerous brands. I keep going back to the Republic of Tea product.

I buy it in bulk, by the pound. It takes me 4-5 months to use a pound so I order it about three times a year.

I have yet to find one of the cheaper varieties that has the complexity of flavor that I like.

I have written in other topics that I use this tea to add to jams to add a smoky flavor which goes well with cheese (quince or fig jams especially)

I poach pears in the tea with a little honey - I make a syrup with it to glaze game birds, duck or chicken, guinea hen.

And it is absolutely fantastic on pork roasts or pork chops.

Read some of the Tea Leaf Readings about this particular tea. I am not the only fan.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 5 weeks later...

I use a lot of Lapsang Souchong in cooking. I have tried numerous brands. I keep going back to the Republic of Tea product.

I buy it in bulk, by the pound. It takes me 4-5 months to use a pound so I order it about three times a year.

I have yet to find one of the cheaper varieties that has the complexity of flavor that I like.

I have written in other topics that I use this tea to add to jams to add a smoky flavor which goes well with cheese (quince or fig jams especially)

I poach pears in the tea with a little honey - I make a syrup with it to glaze game birds, duck or chicken, guinea hen.

And it is absolutely fantastic on pork roasts or pork chops.

Read some of the Tea Leaf Readings about this particular tea. I am not the only fan.

Hello- Have you used it on cold-water ocean fish like salmon? Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Hello- Have you used it on cold-water ocean fish like salmon?

No. I am allergic to ocean fish - sensitive to iodine. I have used it on trout and used it to smoke sturgeon (a friend caught a 4 1/2 ft one in the California aqueduct and gave most of it away.) It was very good.

I smoke the trout whole - they have to be very fresh - but the sturgeon I cut into "steaks" before smoking it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hello- Have you used it on cold-water ocean fish like salmon?

No. I am allergic to ocean fish - sensitive to iodine. I have used it on trout and used it to smoke sturgeon (a friend caught a 4 1/2 ft one in the California aqueduct and gave most of it away.) It was very good.

I smoke the trout whole - they have to be very fresh - but the sturgeon I cut into "steaks" before smoking it.

Wonderful!-Please tell me what you did with the sturgeon after cutting it into steaks.

I used this procedure for salmon - the "steaks" were about an inch thick and about 5" x 6" - I trimmed off the thinner edges and use the trimmings and the bones to make stock.

I used almond wood because there is an almond grower who sells "firewood" from trees they cut down when new ones are needed and I can get it really cheap.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I cannot pretend to be an expert on black tea or even tea 9_9  but always get leaf tea (never sachet) and organic if I can find. For Lapsang Souchong tea, I order from Solstice Tea Traders traditionally smoked (? again not an expert) but I do like it :D  Apparently ( according to the package)  smoked dry on pinewood fire, favorite tea of  Sherlock Holmes... or may be rather the author Arthur Conan Doyle ...  9_9

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon link (log)