• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Food Trucks Would You Like To See?

ChefJordan24

I would be really interested in seeing a gluten-free food truck. Personally suffering from a gluten allergy, I'd love to see a business owner take it upon themselves to cater to this population. It would probably have to be someone that actually has an intolerance to gluten themselves. With the fad continuously growing and trends rising, so many new products are available that are actually pretty delicious and taste authentic. What do you guys think?

If it's delicious, gluten free is fine with me. This truck started up recently, with their signature being panini made with latkes instead of bread. However, bread is available, so I wonder if they keep one panini press totally GF, or if they are just really into latkes and not so much into gluten free.

http://www.napkinfriends.com/?section=home

You could easily have a taco truck that used only corn tortillas.

• 10 months later...

I know this forum has been open for awhile and the last post was January 2014, but I am new here so here you go, better late than never!

I would love to see more food trucks using fresh, organic foods. I was thinking of opening a food truck and decided that a food truck with a menu made up of locally grown organic ingredients with Asian influences in the menu items would make a smash hit! What do you think? Good, bad, neutral? Let me know..

I love authentic, quality, fresh, organic, foods found in food trucks locally and nationally!

I'd like to see something interesting and good quality that doesn't involve some kind of stunt eating.  I'm tired of 'world's hottest' and 'world's biggest'.  Could the food just taste good?  Or maybe, could you offer something that was delicious and NOT spicy?  I seem to remember that was possible years ago.  

I know this forum has been open for awhile and the last post was January 2014, but I am new here so here you go, better late than never!

I would love to see more food trucks using fresh, organic foods. I was thinking of opening a food truck and decided that a food truck with a menu made up of locally grown organic ingredients with Asian influences in the menu items would make a smash hit! What do you think? Good, bad, neutral? Let me know..

Welcome to eGullet, Montri Cole. :-)

I don't live in a food truck area, but when I'm visiting I like to try them out. I like the sound of locally grown organic ingredients with Asian influences, IF it looks appealing and (as Kim Shook notes) promotes good food instead of hottest, tallest, most outrageous in some way. Whether your idea would fly might depend on the area you're in: for instance, I can imagine finding more takers on your idea in one of the West Coast states than in, say, the heart of the South. Where are you considering operation?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Welcome. It's never too late to revive an old topic, so when you find something interesting, please post--it will be be new to lots of members.

We have a decent food truck scene in Boston and Asian food is well represented.  Two of my favorites fit your profile of Asian influenced food featuring locally-grown (not necessarily organic) ingredients.  They started with food trucks and were so successful that they each launched a bricks and mortar cafe too.   If you're interested, you can look at their menus here:  Mei Mei and Bon Me.

There's an earlier topic about starting a food truck here that might be helpful to you.  Good luck, keep us posted.