• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Food Trucks Would You Like To See?

ChefJordan24

I would like the two tiny Mexican ladies who have a truck in Holland, Michigan, to come to Toronto and sell their hand made tamals. Each foil-wrapped tamal, served with all the fresh salsa (3 kinds) you wanted, was $1.00. They were astonishingly good.

But that's probably not what you were asking... :smile:

PASTIES!!!

When I was a kid growing up in the U.P. we actually had a food truck run by a bakery that went up to the ski area and sold pasties. What a wonderful memory!

I pretty much have to make my own now.

Edited by lindag (log)

• 1 month later...

PASTIES!!!

When I was a kid growing up in the U.P. we actually had a food truck run by a bakery that went up to the ski area and sold pasties.

Agree!

I spend quite a bit of the day drooling thinking about Pasties and kiwi meat pies (esp. steak & cheese, or mince, cheese & onion). For me, it just doesn't get better than meat in pastry. They should be everywhere.

Also - Panzerotti! Like deep- fried calzone. Haven't seen them outside of Jersey. Awesome munchies food.

• 1 month later...

I guess for me tacos and burgers where the best food to choose when you're about to eat in a food truck.Having served gourmet tacos, quesadillas, and ceviches with a contemporary twist that are consistently good and well-presented who woulnd't love it..

Hike Sedona Hiking Preparedness + Energy Supply + Apparel & Gear

We have a dumpling truck here called Chirba Chirba, it's quite good. There is also a truck called porchetta that sells toasted pork sandwiches and a grilled cheese truck. The main issue here is the trucks serve a huge area and often aren't convenient to get to at lunchtime.

• 3 months later...

Well, this is certainly a city specific question... Cities that already have food trucks will want something exotic. Those cities and towns that haven't been blessed would probably take any type of good food.

That said, I'd love to see good quality, creative hot sandwiches/wraps with above-average ingredients. Food truck food has to be easy to eat.... too hard and I'm not interested.

We have so many food trucks where I'm at that they're having to invent themes and gimmicks to distinguish themselves from the others. Asian food trucks always seem better than the other genres of food, for some reason.

• 4 weeks later...

So happy to see the Pasties post! We're adding a savoury pie cart to go along with our our crêpe cart for this upcoming farmers market season and hope everything likes them too.

Oregon Crêpe Company,LLC

have crêpe will travel

...pies too!

• 1 month later...

Ethiopian. More esoteric Asian cuisines like Cambodian and Malaysian and Indonesian. Carribean Rotis. Dosas. Persian. Peruvian.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We've got plenty Korean taco trucks, mexican street food trucks, a million little empanadas from various countries, and more dumpling and asian street food trucks than anyone knows what to do with.

What I'd really like to see is a truck that brings some of the best of Brazillian street food. Pao de queijo, fresh fruit juices and vitaminas, and maybe some moqueca or grilled camaroes.

All simple to make, and not something I have seen in a truck anywhere north of Salvador da Bahia.

• 2 months later...

Asian street/hawker food of any kind.

Massive long lines of those little pork sqewers with a cube of pork fat each end, cooked over coals like they do on the streets of BKK. Basted with coconut milk with a brush fasioned from an pandanas leaf to give that lovely smoke.

We live in the middle of nowhere, about one half hour from a very conservative small Canadian city in east central Ontario. You couldn't get less exciting. 'Nuff said. We have chip trucks...a few...which sell French Fries and hamburgers. End of story. Very sad.

Any food trucks would be welcome.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 6 months later...