• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchenware Shopping in Berlin

We're driving down to Berlin next week, and I was wondering whether there were any kitchenware shops particularly worth looking into.

There are a few things I'm interested in (e.g. a jeweller's scale, instant-read thermometer, certain modernist ingredients), but browsing is great, too.

So what I'm interested in is pretty much any unusual/substantial, kitchen-related shop, and I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Thanks!

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Could you not just get a Thermapen in North America? Or do you live in Germany?

I'm not in North America, that's the reason driving down to Berlin is an option ;)

Thermapens are actually made in Great Britain and can be had from their uk website relatively inexpensively when they have a sale.

I kind of like to handle something/see it in action, before buying. Also, in Germany the warranty period covers up to 2 years, so it's a better deal for anything that has the ability to conk out.

But mostly, I'm interested in seeing what I can get my hands in Germany that I'm not likely to find in Denmark, where the selection tends to be a good deal narrower.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org