• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Hellmann's extra rich mayonnaise

SpaghettiWestern

I believe they call it extra heavy mayonnaise.

i dont use alot of mayo but when i do..... i want the REALLY good stuff.... and imagine this stuff makes

UNBELIEVEABLE deviled eggs. lol

i understand this is a food service item so it only comes in large quanity.

walmart use to sell it but they dont anymore.

does anyone know where i might be able to buy this by the jar.

i know its a very LARGE jar but.... i intend to share it with others i know who are interested.

thanks for any help.

i have googled it..... i know i can get it from amazon..... but they only sell it in the 4 pack. sams club and costco dont have it.... i already checked.

what i need to find is a store that sells the jars individualy.

walmart at one time used to sell it but they dont anymore.

if i cant find it by the jar..... i'll have to find some folks that want to go in on it with me.... and buy the 4 pack.

i just thought i would toss it out here to see if anyone might have seen it for sale somewhere in their travels.

You can buy it online from a number of sources. However, it seems to be packed in very large jars and is also sold in 4-packs of very large jars. If you have a cellar or another cool dry place to store it, you don't need to refrigerate commercial mayonnaise.

You can buy it online from a number of sources. However, it seems to be packed in very large jars and is also sold in 4-packs of very large jars. If you have a cellar or another cool dry place to store it, you don't need to refrigerate commercial mayonnaise.

Yes... i know i can get it online and that it only comes in 4 packs. and yes the jars are large. i was just saying in a previous post that i was thinking that i might have to find some folks that want to go in on it with me if i cant find the jars sold single.

i didnt know that commercial mayo didnt need to be kept cold.... but aside from that..... a 4 pack of THOSE big jars would last me the rest of my life.

so..... not looking to have 4 of them to myself.

i need to find a place that sells them single

If you have one of the stores that sells odd lots of different things (clothing, food, tableware, tools) like a Pic 'n' Save or any other store that sells end stock, you may be able to find it as a one off item. I've bought a lot of condiments from stores like these. They are not past their sell-by date, they are usually lots purchased from failed stores.

....If you have a cellar or another cool dry place to store it, you don't need to refrigerate commercial mayonnaise.

i didnt know that commercial mayo didnt need to be kept cold.... but aside from that..... a 4 pack of THOSE big jars would last me the rest of my life.

I am pretty sure that SW is saying that UNOPENED commercial mayo doesn't need to be refrigerated. If otherwise, it's certainly news to me and refutes the instruction on the label.

eGullet member #80.

You don't need to refrigerate commercial mayonnaises. That doesn't mean you should store it in a sunny window or on top of a radiator cover, of course. A cool, dry place like a pantry is fine. It seems contrary to conventional wisdom, but it's true. It's pasteurized and pumped full of EDTA.

Me, if I had a giant bottle of mayonnaise on hand, I'd divide it up into quart jars and refrigerate it for later use. But, I have the luxury of having three refrigerators.

SW, you could offer the extra jars for sale on eBay or sell them to friends.

Edited by annabelle (log)

• 2 weeks later...

SW, I happened to be at Costco this week-end and saw the extra heavy mayo for sale. Good luck on your search

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali