• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is it just a NJ thing?

bishop

It seems that here in NJ, at almost every single place, Diner, Deli, Breakfast joint, the traditional Pan Omelet, with choice goodies cooked on the side then put into the center of a properly folded, slid out of the pan and onto your plate, has gone the way of the Dodo.

The only place even close by that does not call scrambled eggs on a flat top mixed with goods then folded several times and slapped on your plate an Omelet, is 45 minutes away from me in an Original Pancake house.

I can't get a real omelet anywhere, even if I ask. I remember making creative omelet specials every day with the specials.

What happened???

If I want some sauteed wild mushrooms, onions, chorizo, with some swiss or goat, put onto one half of heavenly fluff, topped with fresh arugula and chives, then folded properly in an omelet, there is only one way for me to get it ... just make it myself along with proper home fries ..... crispy, golden, well done.

The end of the world is now coming.

Has the rest of the planet also forgotten how to make an omelet?

http://www.zbsharpening.com - Professional Knife Sharpening Service

No. There is a restaurant called Eggbert's in Bartlesville that makes folded omelets. I realize this is a bit of a drive for you, so can you special order a folded omelet?

No. There is a restaurant called Eggbert's in Bartlesville that makes folded omelets. I realize this is a bit of a drive for you, so can you special order a folded omelet?

No! That's the point :)

They no longer carry the omelet pans I think, or the staff to wash 1 or 2 after each omelet, or care to.

I try each place and get a "no, they do them like that".

Even tried some places that just do breakfast, one place adverts over 100 omelets ... I mean "fancy scrambled eggs" :)

The flattop has taken over, and I highly doubt most "normal" eateries even have the staff or know how.

Just weird how it changed over the years.

I have noticed I can get a real omelet in a good restaurant that does a breakfast.

Victoria House in Spring Lake comes to mind when I go down to the shore.

Wise guy. ;-) "No" was in answer to your question about the rest of the world forgetting how to make an omelet.

I can't recall the name of the restaurant, but it is part of a hotel in Stone Harbor, NJ. It makes folded omelets and also gives you tiny complementary muffins, too.

Stone Harbor is way down by Cape May, so I don't know how close that is to you.

Wise guy. ;-) "No" was in answer to your question about the rest of the world forgetting how to make an omelet.

I can't recall the name of the restaurant, but it is part of a hotel in Stone Harbor, NJ. It makes folded omelets and also gives you tiny complementary muffins, too.

Stone Harbor is way down by Cape May, so I don't know how close that is to you.

Back atcha - My "No" was in response to your "can you special order a folded omelet?" ;)

I hit Cape May occasionally, will look into it.

Overall, here in NJ, it just seems its a done deal. Pans = talent, labor x2 pans to cook goods plus cleanup , pan stocking ... you need a few handy if you get busy.

Flattop = Drop it on the grill, push, fold, plate, scrap. :(

I find that so amazing when I ask and its a flat "no they can't".

There is a certain amount of art to it, styles vary.

I used to mack mine back in my cooking days with some eggs plus milk or water or heavy even, S&P, clarified butter, get the pushing/running going, goods hot already in another pan, flip, add goods, fluff in broiler, fold on the plate.

Like an egg calzone.

I'm getting hungry.

The restaurant I referanced is on the frontage road by the beach ramps, near St. Paul's Catholic Church. The road into town that crosses the draw-bridge has some breakfast places, but they are mostly tourist trap/beach bum pancake houses. Like anywhere else, the closer to the water, the higher the price and (usually) the better the quality.

I haven't made an omelet in ages. I'll have to give it a go this week!

The sad state of omelets and scrambled eggs is a national scandal. Neither can be made properly on a flat top. I have a couple select diners in SE PA that still know how to do it.

Its not that hard to do it right, but like the Reuben its hard to find a place that cares enough.