• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taco Bell's Cantina Bowl: TB edging into Qdoba's turf

Chris Hennes

I had the new Steak Cantina Bowl at Taco Bell tonight: if you haven't seen the ads, this is a bowl of "chef created" burrito stuff (it is in fact also available as a burrito, but I went for the bowl option). I got the steak variant: it came with a pico de gallo, guacamole, roasted corn salsa, lettuce, black beans, rice, and some kind of green sauce. It was good. In fact, it was very good. And not just in a stranded-on-a-desert-island-with-nothing-but-a-Taco-Bell sense, or even a good-for-five-bucks sense. It was actually, genuinely, good.

Previously Taco Bell has been the king of repackaging the same ingredients in 50 different ways: I don't think this bowl used any of those ingredients. Even the lettuce was a fresh, crisp, quality romaine. The portion size is quite large, and included a decent amount of both steak and guacamole, two relatively expensive ingredients, so the value was also very good, at $5. All of the ingredients were flavorful, and I thought each brought something to the bowl in terms of flavor, texture, and appearance.

I made the mistake of getting the "meal" option: it included an extra side of one of the salsas and some chips, plus a drink. I should have saved the $2 and gotten a water: the salsas worked better in the bowl than on chips, and soda just didn't go. Oh well.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I am not a big Taco Bell fan-its great for a change of pace from a burger place, but that's about it. However, I've been intrigued seeing the commercials for the Cantina Bowls and am happy to hear they are good. Now I'll have to give it a try.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

On our twice yearly cross-USA trip to Utah, we often have lunch at Taco Bell. It is not high tone, but it fills several on-the-Interstate requirements. We'll report back about the Cantina Bowls as we try them.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I just dont get the rice in the burrito thing.

Is that a cheap restaurant "filler" thing, or does this happen authentically in Mexico?

Are burritos actually Mexican in the first place? I've always thought of them as being Tex-Mex. And I like rice in them, it's a great way to absorb the various sauces involved, IMO.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I try to avoid Taco Bell, mostly because everytime we eat there, my partner gets a stomach ache( she eats the meat, I only eat chicken). I'll make a trip without her to try the new chicken bowl. We have 3 chipotles in our town and I love their salads( my prefered choice there). I do NOT like Qdoba at all, way too much stuff in those burritos.

Is that a cheap restaurant "filler" thing, or does this happen authentically in Mexico?

Are burritos actually Mexican in the first place? I've always thought of them as being Tex-Mex. And I like rice in them, it's a great way to absorb the various sauces involved, IMO.

You see something similar in the north. Some would argue that it's a Mexicali thing rather than Tex Mex.

I always ask for no rice just because I always feel like I need a nap after just a regular burrito.

As much as I like them, more and more I find three tacos feels better and I can still move.

Here in California, I'm sure there is an independent taco truck or taqueria within distance of almost any Taco Bell (or Chipotle). I'll go on a limb and say it will be better from the truck in most cases.

There was a time when invidiual Taco Bells would make their own beans in a pressure cooker. I think now it's just add water and voila- dinner!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

You see something similar in the north. Some would argue that it's a Mexicali thing rather than Tex Mex.

I always ask for no rice just because I always feel like I need a nap after just a regular burrito.

As much as I like them, more and more I find three tacos feels better and I can still move.

Here in California, I'm sure there is an independent taco truck or taqueria within distance of almost any Taco Bell (or Chipotle). I'll go on a limb and say it will be better from the truck in most cases.

There was a time when invidiual Taco Bells would make their own beans in a pressure cooker. I think now it's just add water and voila- dinner!

Of course, in Texas, we really love our "breakfast tacos," which is something of a misnomer. Because they contain traditional breakfast foods (no rice) wrapped in a flour tortilla, and not corn, they probably should be called "breakfast burritos" here, like they are elsewhere.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Chris, it's good to hear about Taco Bell making something that is, well...good.

I was befuddled by this "gourmet cantina bowl" marketing. Afterall, their target audience (males, about 13-22) wouldn't get near the new cantina bowls. It made me wonder if Taco Bell could make it work...going after two distinct target audiences. I haven't heard how successful the new Cantina Bowls have been. They're still selling them so I suppose that's one indication of success.

As for rice in burritos, I think it began with the "everything wrapped up in a tortilla" mentality, like a breakfast burrito. I wouldn't consider it an "authentic" burrito if it had rice inside. If anything, it would indicate to me that it's not the place to dine if I'm looking for good mexican food.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver