• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report on BreadHitz class - highly recommended!

tikidoc

A while back, I started a thread asking if anyone had ever taken bread backing classes with Ciril HItz. The workshop on "Fundamentals of Artisan Bread baking" just happened to be today, when we were already planning to be in the area for vacation. For those who don't know, Ciril Hitz teaches at the International Baking and Pastry Institute at Johnson & Wales University in Providence RI. He also has a side business giving half and one day classes to small groups at his family's farm near Providence, as well as teaching classes through other businesses such as King Arthur Flour. So, after some positive reviews here on eGullet, I decided to sign up and take a one day workshop. It was well worth it.

I will post some pictures once I have a chance to get them on my computer and uploaded on the net (may take a while since I will have pretty limited internet service for vacation) but I wanted to put up a quick post recommending the class. If you like to bake bread and have an opportunity to take a class with Ciril, either at his house or through King Arthur, I highly recommend you take it. He is a gifted and entertaining teacher, and is a master at his craft. I learned a lot and had a fun time doing it, and left with a big bag of bread to take on vacation with us (French country loaves, honey whole wheat, focaccia, and pretzels). And the setting, out in the country in Rehoboth, MA, is lovely.

The information on the available courses and dates is at http://breadhitz.com/workshopinfo.html.

Pics to follow...

Jess

• 3 weeks later...