• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh cherries are here; any fresh ideas to make them last?

MarkinHouston

I have frozen, pickled, and made into jam the abundance of cherries in past summers. Any other ideas? I was thinking along the lines of a chutney or some other savory creation that could be preserved and used throoughout the year. I suppose brandied cherries would work in a pinch, but for some reason this year I would like to branch out from the sweet to the spicy profile. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I picked up cherries at the market this morning. I've been playing with flavored simple syrups (well, I guess if it's flavored it's not simple, is it?). So I used about a cup of cherries and boiled them with some sugar and water. I'm going to use some, with some of the whole cherries, with some brandy and some sparkling water to make a cocktail.

I'd think cherries in white vinegar, with a little sugar, and a bunch of chipotle, would be good.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Hmm, this is a good question, cherries are plentiful and relatively cheap at the moment, and I never thought about savory. According to Eatyourbooks, here are some recipes on my shelf that sound appealing:

cherry mustard marmalade -- Modernist Cuisine

cherries as olives (Cerezas como aceitunas) -- Made in Spain, José Andrés

sweet and sour cherries -- Cooking of SW France, Paula Wolfert

cherry vinegar -- the Improvisational Cook, Sally Schneider

plus many recipes for cherry cordials and liquors, if that interests you