• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London "best"

I'm starting to have a think about the meal that Mrs H & I call the "office Christmas party".

We've already decided on a couple of nights "dahn sarf".

Need I look further than the Ledbury for the meal?

John Hartley

I would take the Ledbury as my first pick. I have only ever been at lunchtime (personal preference) as I find most places a little more laid back at lunch.

There are few finer ways to spend a Sunday (or any) afternoon than lunch at the Ledbury.

http://www.caterersearch.com/blogs/guide-girl/2012/07/brett-grahams-ledbury-tops-all-in-london-restaurant-list.html

Martin

Yes Ledbury of course.

I have been to Sketch a few times lately for lunch and really think it is pretty special and excellent value for what you get.

Not sure if you have been to St John, if not think you would like it.

Alternatively you could enjoy some real fish and chips at the Golden Hind (yes really) !! :biggrin:

Alternatively you could enjoy some real fish and chips at the Golden Hind (yes really) !! :biggrin:

I doubt whether herself, a Salford girl through and through, would take kindly to a celebratory meal being at a chippy. :laugh:

Never been to the Golden Hind as I'm usually staying near to Masters Superfish

John Hartley

If you're privileged to get a reservation, 'Dinner' by Heston Blumenthal, it's the 9th best restaurant in the world, and the best in the UK!

Good luck finding anyone who agrees with either of those statements!

Anyway, another vote for the Ledbury here!

If you're privileged to get a reservation, 'Dinner' by Heston Blumenthal, it's the 9th best restaurant in the world, and the best in the UK!

Well, I could make a start with the jury of the World's 50 Best!

Maybe I should have added a caveat:

"who has eaten at more than 2-3 restaurants in the UK over the last 18 months"

You might want to talk to some Jury members to see the rules behind voting.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

If you do Ledbury and Hedone you'll two very different meals, in all respects which will work together as an interesting trip.

If you've not been, a worthwhile diversion whilst down south would be The Sportsman easy train from Victoria, short taxi at other end.

Then you've ticked the only 3 reasons needed to ever venture down south ;)

you don't win friends with salad

If you are intending on booking for lunch (dinner is already booked up until 2013), I would add Dabbous to the mix. That said, if you opt for the Ledbury, Hedone or The Sportsman you can't really go wrong.

With regard to Dabbous i keep hearing this 2013 rumour yet they only take reservations 8 weeks in advance - how does that work or is it just more clever marketing?

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I think that the 8 week reservation limit only applies to online bookings – I had no trouble (!) booking a table for lunch in December a few weeks back. In terms of the accuracy of how busy they are, only the restaurant knows the truth. However, when I ate there a month ago a asked how long they were booked up for and was told that they were full for dinner until February/March 2013 and full for lunch until October 2012.

I've been a couple of times to the Ledbury and while both times I had some fantastic dishes neither time I had a perfect meal (I'm going again just today in search of that elusive perfection). For a special occasion to celebrate in style, for me the combination of grand ambiance, cuisine and service at Apsleys are unbeatable

Edited by Man (log)