• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grinder plates for Chef'sChoice grinder attachment for KitchenAid?

PaulDWeiss

Hello, all. The all-metal Chef'sChoice/Edgecraft grinder head, made to fit the PTO of the KitchenAid stand mixer series, is very nice. It's a German-designed, Hungarian-manufactured piece with very good levels of finish on the casting and the machining, and with grinding plates which are almost twice the thickness of the plates used in KitchenAid's own grinder head. Edgecraft bundles 2 grinder plates with the unit: medium-ish and fine-ish. Does anyone know of any 3rd-party plates which fit this unit? I've got 8 different plates for various-sized cuts for my big #32 grinder, but this little one (I think it's a #5) is very convenient – the KA is always out and ready to use on my counter, and the grinder head is mounted by default, but can be pulled off in only a few seconds if I don't want to use it.

The plates are not the same size as those used by the KA grinder – they're thicker, as I mentioned (5 mm instead of the KA's 3 mm), and have a 52 mm (2 1/16") overall diameter instead of the KA's 49 mm, and have a single "female" fixing notch, rather than the KA's 2 big square "male" lugs. (I'd guess the KA's fixing system is so beefy because it's trying to stay put in the plastic body of the grinder attachment, rather than into a machined metal casting.) The center holes are the same: 8.5 mm (5/16"). Some websites list the plate diameter of a "standard" #5 grinder plate as 2 1/8", so I'm a little nervous about the sizing. If anyone has preceeded me on this search, I'd love to know of any successes. I'd be equally interested in any attempts which didn't pan out, so I can avoid wasting time looking at them. If you already have a grinder which you know to be a "standard" #5, and would be so good as to measure the plates, that would help a lot. Thanks, all, in advance.

Paul

I am glad to report that the plates from my Villaware #5 hand-cranked grinder (V265-05) work fine in the Chef's Choice KA attachment even though they are not as thick as the ones supplied with the Chef's Choice model.