• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seasoning a carbon steel wok

TylerK

That should work. I have done the same over the kitchen gas stove by removing the metal grate and placing the wok right on the flame. Just keep turning the wok to get the sides seasoned. I recall reading somewhere other than MC that the best oil to use is flax seed oil, as it has 3 double bonds and it will react and bond with the metal better than any other oil. Aparently polyunsaturated oils make a better carbon steel bond than monounsaturated oils. I don't recall where I read it perhaps "on food and cooking" by McGee.

• 2 years later...

I've heard so many differing opinions on this topic, from what types of oils to use (flaxseed vs Crisco vs grapeseed vs canola) to what temp/for how long/how many times to season it... and now i'm confused. 

Does anyone have a tried and tested, foolproof way of doing this??  The wok is sitting in its bag, still waiting for the factory coating to be stripped.  :) 

There are lots of techniques that will work, but the one in that video is one of the most foolproof, I think. I don't think there's anything magic about using Chinese chives except that they are cheap and a good shape for pushing around the wok without developing any residue.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

The principle is exactly the same as with a cast iron skillet: you're polymerizing oils (which means heating them to the point where they oxidize and turn to a tough plastic consistency) and carbonizing them (which means burning some of the oil to soot, which embeds in the polymerized oil and gives the nonstick characteristics).

This will happen on its own just from using a wok. If you're in a hurry, you can fully season the thing in 20 minutes or so if you're efficient about it. You need an oil that's high in unsaturated fats, preferably in polyunsaturated fats, and that's highly refined so that it can take high heat. Look for something a refined canola or safflower oil.

Put a VERY THIN coating on the pan, and heat the wok. You can use a powerful burner, or else put the wok in an over (for more even results). If using the oven, I set the temp to around 25°F higher than the smoke point of the oil.

When the oil stops smoking, take a piece of paper towel dipped in the oil and paint another thin coat on the pan (use tongs!). Repeat. After a few cycles of this, the wok will have an even, black, durable coating.

This is the same as for cast iron. Just be aware that spun steel is less porous than cast iron, so the coating will be less durable. Also be aware that if you use the wok at true stir-fry temperatures (like with a commercial wok burner) this is probably a pointless exercise because you'll burn the coating off the wok every time you use it.

Any instructions you find that mention using salt, or any kind of food, or saturated fats like shortening, are based on pure folklore. There's nothing scientific or practical to recommend any of that.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

I agree with all of the above you you can season it ..or depending on how  fast you want it "old" you can  just use it and use it and use it then when you are done each thing you just wipe it or gently wash it put some oil on it and stick it back on the burner to dry it ..give it a "story" let it age ..do not push it ..time …patience …and over and over and over ..seasoning takes time and usage ..agreed not over thinking….at least for me ..to get that nice slick surface takes age… that is how I season anything "new" I age it naturally by using it ..your food gets better over time as your wok ages..I have an old old wok that was purchased new and it was a mess when I started but as I seasoned it it took on my character of cooking ..I believe that seasoning is also unique to the person using it and the best things are left to season naturally over time and usage …like a good pair of jeans! or I just realized  this second…my 37 year marriage this month is nicely seasoned with time :) 

the things I have slowly seasoned have been the things I have kept in life! 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

• 2 weeks later...

...your food gets better over time as your wok ages....

This is the lore, I know, but in truth it just makes the wok slightly easier to clean. And there's no difference in practice between seasoning applied over many years and seasoning done efficiently in 20 minutes. Ain't no magic going on!

The woks used by professional Chinese cooks have virtually no seasoning; they get preheated hot enough to burn off any old oil every time they cook.

Jeans are another story :)

Notes from the underbelly