• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The BEST: Gelato in Manhattan

weinoo

The Village Voice's food blog, Fork in the Road, went out to find the 10 best gelati in New York City (available at retail, so stop screaming about Otto's gelato!). Their winner is the one I've always liked best too (even when it was in its teeny shop next to the Tenement Museum) - Laboratorio del Gelato.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 weeks later...

The Village Voice's food blog, Fork in the Road, went out to find the 10 best gelati in New York City (available at retail, so stop screaming about Otto's gelato!). Their winner is the one I've always liked best too (even when it was in its teeny shop next to the Tenement Museum) - Laboratorio del Gelato.

I'm wondering - what's with "the best"? Is there an absolute standard for gelato? In which case it's just a scientific or chemical analysis you want?

Personally I keep wanting to fall for various local shops, and Laboratorio del Gelato is excellent but totally inconvenient, closed the last two times I was nearby, and nothing special when you buy it in the frozen case at Murray's or Gourmet Garage.The stuff from Philly (Capogiro) has been very very good when I've had it at various restaurants, most of whom now seem to prefer to serve their own homemade but inferior product. But in the Village I mostly find myself getting hungry for the Bacio at Grom. I feel guilty, because it's an international chain, but it's delicious. Is it the best? For my palate, in my three block radius, yes.

• 3 weeks later...

Move over, Il Lab, there's a new (ish) kid in town...Gelato ti amo. My first visit here yesterday will send me back soon. The pistachio was great.

68 Second Avenue

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?