• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken roulade

boondocker

Heres one I did for a club event, celebrating our building's 100th birthday.

Local free range hens with dried apricot, pistachio, and pork belly.

My rounds cook tying up the 30 or so roulade I rolled up before service started:

2012-07-11_17-52-28_685.jpg

The displays (crackers filled the open space when it went out):

2012-07-12_20-25-18_246.jpg

Close up:

2012-07-12_20-25-49_256.jpg

Those look lovely. Boondocker, it looks as though the set for your building's 100th birthday party must have been served cold. Is that right? Was that mustard as a condiment in the corner of the tray?

Boondocker and Scotty Boy (and anyone who answers later, of course): what do you do about sauces? Of the photos above, it looks like 2 sets have sauce and 2 don't. I'd think a sauce might complement the roulade, particularly in case the meat had gotten too dry.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Yeah, the display went out cold with fig jam, mustard and crackers. If you take it to exactly 160 it stays nice and moist but as you get past 165 the force meat dries our pretty fast. When we serve them hot I always use a sauce with them, they lose moisture when you cut into them warm