• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What can I use excess jam/jelly/marmalade for?

The raspberry season is in full swing and I'm picking kilos of them, some are used fresh, frozen etc, but now I have a glut of jam/jelly and I still have huge amounts of Seville Orange marmalade. What can I use it for, confections, baking, I'll have a go at anything!

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

Jam thumbprint cookies are always good. Get a spritz cookie recipe, make it, put it into a piping bag with a large star tip and just pipe straight down and up to make stars on your parchment covered sheet pan. Take a moistened thumb and press down the peak in the center to make an indentation, then fill about 3/4 of the way with jam. ( a half teaspoon or so) The jam is easier/faster to apply if it's also bagged, but with a smaller plain tube tip. You can flavor the spritz to complement the jam: lemon zest with raspberry jam, lime zest with blueberry jam, almond extract with apricot jam, etc.

You can also use the raspberry jam to make sauces for meat.

Make philo cups (3 sheets in a square, press into muffin cup), prebake about 5 min, then spoon in jam, bake 10-15 more min 350F ish.

Heat gently and pour jam over cream cheese, serve w crackers. Add cayenne or other source of spice to the jam if desired. (this is where the hot peppers extracted in vodka come in handy. I only need to add a few drops and have very good control of the degree of heat).

Use jam between cake layers

All of these work w marmelade or jam, tho spicy marmelade I'm not too sure I would like.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I use it most frequently to fill crepes or rugelach; for the rugelach, I use one of Nigella's recipes, which I love because it's easy to make and work with.

My grandmother makes brioche dough, and then she makes small buns filled with jam. She tears off egg-sized pieces of the dough, rolls it out to a circle, glob of jam in the center, then she gathers it up and pinches it to seal. She bakes the buns in a round pan, they look terrific and are delicious.

I sometimes make swiss roll, or you can take the swiss roll, slice it up, then use them for a cake like this: http://marcellinaincucina.blogspot.ca/2010/07/daring-bakers-challenge-july-swiss-roll.html

You have excess raspberries and excess raspberry jam? Oh my stars. My advice: praise the Lord for the bounty and eat it by the bowlful while thinking of us poor miserable raspberryless sinners over here. (We could have raspberries but the required Swiss bank account is sadly lacking at the mo...)

You could make a raspberry Pavlova.

Or a delicious Schaum Torte using raspberry jam as the filling.

Sigh.

You have excess raspberries and excess raspberry jam? Oh my stars. My advice: praise the Lord for the bounty and eat it by the bowlful while thinking of us poor miserable raspberryless sinners over here. (We could have raspberries but the required Swiss bank account is sadly lacking at the mo...)

You could make a raspberry Pavlova.

Or a delicious Schaum Torte using raspberry jam as the filling.

Sigh.

If you can get your hands on a plant or two they grow like wildfire and I've been pulling them out of my lawn like weeds!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I think I'll work my way from the top down!

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

You can fill doughnuts, cupcakes, muffins, popovers and croissants with jam.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I second the jam thumbprints. Love Ina Garten's - they're rolled in coconut instead of nuts.(recipe is on the Food Network site)

Also, Jam-Filled Muffins (Williams-Sonoma recipe) and Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake. Will post links if you're interested.

(Another idea is Linzer tarts/cookies)

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

use either with vinegar to make an intense salad dressing

the marmalade is fantastic in asian marinades.

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

Add to plain yogurt or whipped cream for cake frosting. Add to melted dark chocolate and then add to whipped cream for a delicious filling for swiss rolls, crepes. Make a trifle with store bought pound cake, whipped cream, custard, sherry.

This delicious and easy tart

http://www.davidlebo...08/07/jam-tart/

I second this - it's a fabulous tart and couldn't be easier.

Someone linked to an Estonian Rhubarb Cake a while ago that was basically this, except instead of a pastry top, it was finished with 4 eggs beaten with 4 T sugar, then fold in 4 T flour, pour over the top and bake. Bottom crust prebaked for a bit. That would be delicious with fresh rasps or the jam as the filling. In fact, we had it last night with a few rhubarb stalks that were still in the market, topped up with lots of strawberries. Quite delicious!

One cup of raspberries and one cup sugar. Mash raspberries into the sugar with a fork. Let it sit at least a day.

Stir into yogurt or pour over ice cream or use it in a cocktail.

Thank Edna Lewis.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Send them to me. :laugh:

If you've canned the jam, won't it keep for quite a while, so you don't need to use it all immediately? Then you can wait till winter, and revisit all your ideas.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Raspberry swirl ice cream.

White chocolate mousse with raspberry coulis.

An old fashioned bombe -- maybe a raspberry jam center with chocolate ice cream mixed with raspberry liqueor and then a chocolate shell...

One of my favorite things for fresh raspberries is shrub -- a sweetened concentrated raspberry juice kept in the fridge in a big handsome frosty jug, then at the appropriate moment on a sweltering day, poured over tinkling ice cubes in a tall glass and mixed with either fresh cold water or soda water, must have a stripey straw to slurp it up. My grandmother always had raspberry shrub in the fridge in the summer when I was a kid and I can still taste the intense raspberry-ness and icy coldness.

On this side of the pond, I don't think anyone under the age of 60 even knows what "shrub" is anymore. Don't know about Blighty.

Jammy dodgers will take care of my childish cravings. Linzer tortes are also come to mind for using large quantities.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 3 weeks later...

Seville orange marmalade, mixed with a sharpish mustard to taste would make a nice glaze for country ribs (I don't know what the UK cut is called, they're the fatty, delicious cut from around the spare ribs that you'd put on the BBQ) I've also used peach or apricot preserves to the same end. Also works with a ham or a ham steak, which I've also done on the BBQ. The steak, that is. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"