• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

imanalienchef

New to catering, need help with amount of beef for meatballs

My boyfriend and I are catering an event this weekend and we have some questions. We are going with an Italian theme.

So---how much ground beef do we need to make meatballs for about 30 people, using a #40 scoop.

Also how much pasta?

A few questions.

Is this to be a meal? Or a midday snack? Or...?

Will there be any other food, or just meatballs and pasta? (Nothing wrong with that -- but it affects portioning.)

When you reply, I'm sure you'll get a lot of precise feedback.

There will be other food. We have a salad bar, the spaghetti and meatballs and also a suate to order station with veggies, chicken and shrimp with liter sauces, plus dessert to follow.

The total number of people there will be about 60, so that is why we were planning for about 30 for spaghetti and meatballs area.

Well, assuming you'll have a hungry crowd looking for a meal, not a snack, I'd go safe and aim for about 4 oz dried pasta and 6 oz of uncooked ground meat per person. If you're not using breadcrumbs, egg, onions, garlic, etc., you could bump that ground meat up a bit.

Are you making sauce/gravy as well?

The meal is after a wedding rehearsal, so they will probably be hungry.

But with the number of choices they will have, not everyone is going to eat everything.

We will have marinara sauce and some alfredo sauce with that area.

• Similar Content

• By alacarte
      I recently took a trip to Northern Italy, and was delighted to find that the cappuccino everywhere was just wonderful, without exception. Smooth, flavorful, aromatic perfect crema, strong but not too strong.
      Aside from the obvious answer (duh, Italians created cappuccino ), what makes Italian capp so fantastic, and how do I duplicate the effect here?
      I'm wondering if it's the water, the way the coffee is ground or stored, the machines used....I'm baffled.
      Also noticed that the serving size tended to be smaller than what I'm used to -- i.e. a small teacupful vs. a brimming mug or Starbucks supersize. Not sure why that is either.
      Grazie mille for any insight on this!
    • By Modernist Cuisine Team
      The Modernist Cuisine team is currently traveling the globe to research pizza and different pizza styles for our next book Modernist Pizza.  Nathan and the team will be in São Paulo and Buenos Aires soon. We'd love hear from the eGullet community—what pizzerias should they visit while they're there? You can read more about our next book Modernist Pizza here. Thanks in advance, everyone! 
    • By scordelia
      My article was published (my first one!)! Hooray! And I do have some Florentine restaurant recommendations including the new Osteria del Pavone which is amazing--lampredotto ravioli is now a thing and it must be tried.

http://www.classicchicagomagazine.com/florence-in-winter/
    • By smeems
      Hi.  I'm brand new to this site.  I used to be on Chowhound but I see now that that site is a mess. I found this site and it looks pretty cool.  The main reason I joined is  I’m looking for recommendations for a restaurant to hold my wedding in March 2018. We were hoping maybe in Brooklyn but we are open to anything interesting. There will be 55-60 people and the ceremony will also be at the restaurant. I’m thinking of a brunch/early afternoon affair, most likely on a weekend. Would love to find a funky/old school/unique/charming type of place for my sweetheart. Inexpensive please! Thank you in advance!
    • By smeems
      Hi.  I'm brand new to this site.  I used to be on Chowhound but I see now that that site is a mess. I found this site and it looks pretty cool.  The main reason I joined is  I’m looking for recommendations for a restaurant to hold my wedding in March 2018. We were hoping maybe in Brooklyn but we are open to anything interesting. There will be 55-60 people and the ceremony will also be at the restaurant. I’m thinking of a brunch/early afternoon affair, most likely on a weekend. Would love to find a funky/old school/unique/charming type of place for my sweetheart. Inexpensive please! Thank you in advance!