• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

imanalienchef

New to catering, need help with amount of beef for meatballs

5 posts in this topic

My boyfriend and I are catering an event this weekend and we have some questions. We are going with an Italian theme.

So---how much ground beef do we need to make meatballs for about 30 people, using a #40 scoop.

Also how much pasta?

A few questions.

Is this to be a meal? Or a midday snack? Or...?

Will there be any other food, or just meatballs and pasta? (Nothing wrong with that -- but it affects portioning.)

When you reply, I'm sure you'll get a lot of precise feedback.

Chris Amirault

camirault@eGstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

There will be other food. We have a salad bar, the spaghetti and meatballs and also a suate to order station with veggies, chicken and shrimp with liter sauces, plus dessert to follow.

The total number of people there will be about 60, so that is why we were planning for about 30 for spaghetti and meatballs area.

Well, assuming you'll have a hungry crowd looking for a meal, not a snack, I'd go safe and aim for about 4 oz dried pasta and 6 oz of uncooked ground meat per person. If you're not using breadcrumbs, egg, onions, garlic, etc., you could bump that ground meat up a bit.

Are you making sauce/gravy as well?

Chris Amirault

camirault@eGstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

The meal is after a wedding rehearsal, so they will probably be hungry.

But with the number of choices they will have, not everyone is going to eat everything.

We will have marinara sauce and some alfredo sauce with that area.

• Similar Content

• By Gunnsr42
      Hello foodies. Tell us what work of art you're cooking for your meals these days. 
    • By shain
      Makes 40 cookies, 2 loaves. 

50-60 g very aromatic olive oil
      80 g honey 
      120 to 150 g sugar (I use 120 because I like it only gently sweet) 
      2 eggs
      2 teaspoons of fine lemon zest, from apx 1 lemon 
      230 g flour 
      1 teaspoon salt 
      1 teaspoon baking powder 
      75 g lightly toasted peeled pistachios
      50 g lightly toasted almonds (you can replace some with pine nuts) 
      Optional: a little rosemary or anise seed
      Optional: more olive oil for brushing

Heat oven to 170 deg C.
      In mixer (or by hand), mix oil, honey, sugar, lemon, egg and if desired, the optional spices - until uniform. 
      Separately mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. 
      Add flour mixture to mixer bowel with liquids and fold until uniform. Dough will be sticky and quite stiff. Don't knead or over mix. 
      Add nuts and fold until well dispersed. 
      On a parchment lined baking tray, create two even loaves of dough. 
      With moist hands, shape each to be rectangular and somewhat flat - apx 2cm heigh, 6cm wide and 25cm long. 
      Bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden and baked throughout, yet somewhat soft and sliceable. Rotate pan if needed for even baking. 
      Remove from tray and let chill slightly or completely. 
      Using a sharp serrated knife, gently slice to thin 1/2 cm thick cookies. Each loaf should yield 20 slices. 
      Lay slices on tray and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 10-15 minutes until complelty dry and lightly golden. 
      Brush with extra olive oil, if desired. This will and more olive flavor. 
      Let chill completely before removing from tray. 
      Cookies keep well in a closed container and are best served with desert wines or herbal tea. 

• By JoNorvelleWalker
      Steve Sando had a nice write up in the Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/06/dining/marcella-hazan-rancho-gordo-beans.html?ref=dining

According to FedEx tracking my Marcella beans (and others) are due to arrive tomorrow.
    • By Suzi Edwards
      i made some pesto on saturday and was wondering how long people would keep it for in the fridge. my partner is happy to scrape mould off stuff (bleurgh) and he says it will keep until saturday. i don't believe him...
      any ideas?