• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite vegetable sauce that will keep

Beusho

I'm looking for a vegetable sauce that will keep in the refrigerator for a few days...my schedule recently has gotten very busy and I'm looking for a sauce that I can refrigerate and reuse a few days in a row...usually I cook savory buttery sauces with broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, cucumber etc. but these won't keep...Let me know if you have any ideas!

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

What about a cheese sauce? If you make it with some sodium citrate it's basically bulletproof for reheating.

ETA: Wait, maybe I'm confused: are you looking for a sauce made with vegetables, or a sauce to put ON vegetables?

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

@chris

Looking for sauces to put ON vegetables, not ones made from vegetables

Any suggestion for the cheese sauce?

Thanks shalmanese, I will have to start in on these suggestions. Have any recipes you think are good?

Edited by Beusho (log)

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

I typically sort of wing my cheese sauces: what you need is a liquid that complements your cheese (beer, white wine, etc.). Bring a cup of it to a simmer in a saucepan and add about 1/4 tsp of sodium citrate. Then start adding your shredded cheese, whisking as you go, until it reaches the consistency you want. It reheats in the microwave just fine, and should keep at least a week, if not longer.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I do an asian garlic sauce.

vegetable oil, toss in a ton of garlic and a few chili flakes. When the garlic is fragrant and just brown, toss in water, soy sauce, sugar, white vinegar. Reduce or thicken with cornstarch slurry and finish with a dash of sesame oil.

I'd second any recommendation for any pesto or chimichurri type sauce. Topped with a bit of oil, they keep well in the fridge for a few days. Depending on what you're serving, you can either simply add a dollop of the sauce or add some to a simple vinaigrette.

In addition to the always delicious basil pesto, I am addicted to the green herb paste from Rick Bayless's Fiesta at Rick's, which is a puree of roasted garlic, roasted jalapenos, parsley, cilantro, and olive oil, salt. In the Bayless book it's used in a fish and cucumber ceviche (outstanding!) but I like it equally well brushed on grilled summer veggies or to spice up a vinaigrette for substantial salads--try ripe tomatoes, corn, green beans, and potatoes.

you could also use your favorite sauce and freeze it in portions, thaws quick in the microwave and should keep for a good while.

Just an idea, I don't make sauces very often (hardly ever), can't help with recipes.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog