• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

4th of July

heidih

12 minutes ago, kayb said:

We'll celebrate a day late, on Sunday, as Child C and her hubby are gone to the lake Saturday. I have a pork loin I think I'm going to throw on the smoker. I've had success before with sous vide and a later smoke. I'll make cole slaw, potato salad, baked beans and corn (as the SIL likes neither potato salad nor slaw, the heathen). There'll be rolls, in the event anyone wants to make sandwiches with pork loin slices. Should be plenty of tomatoes for slicing, or for a tomato salad. I've done one with tomato, watermelon and fresh mozz that's pretty wonderful. I'm thinking dessert may be a blackberry cheesecake, as I have not made one in a good while, and I can make several smaller ones and freeze them without topping. A gracious plenty of beer and hard cider.

Are you getting garden 'maters already?   Super jealous if so.

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

Are you getting garden 'maters already?   Super jealous if so.

Got one that's starting to get a little color on it. May be ripe by the weekend. He's the only one, though. Got to get some calcium and magnesium out there, though; having an issue with blossom end rot.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

cant say why anyone would prefer brisket to try-tip.

make several tri=tips is you have them.   fantastic sliced thin on a sandwich

as any steak is .

Fear of the unknown, I think

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

one thing about trip-tip :

study its Anatomy carefully :

it slices optimally three different ways 

didn't study this w my first two.

TT rare in this area , Im guessing more so now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shelby said:

I don't know yet what we will have.  I really want to make some type of fruit dessert but I don't know that I will get to a grocery store this week.  I could go maybe before my periodontist appt that I am truly petrified of and dreading.  

<<<<HUGS>>>>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

one thing about trip-tip :

study its Anatomy carefully :

it slices optimally three different ways 

didn't study this w my first two.

TT rare in this area , Im guessing more so now.

Great point!

TT is hard to find around here too.  Costco doesn't carry it and butchers want $$$ for it.

Fortunately there is Wegmans and WF not too too far away

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

cant say why anyone would prefer brisket to try-tip.

make several tri=tips id you have them.   fantastic sliced thin on a sandwich

as any steak is .

Santa Maria Tri-Tip is a thing around here and I am at a loss to understand why. I find tri-tip to be quite chewy and sometimes quite tough.I get tired just thinking of what it's like to chew that meat. Here it's either served with BBQ sauce or salsa. Neither sauce adds anything to it. 

That's why I much prefer a nice smoked brisket that's fall apart tender.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

16 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Santa Maria Tri-Tip is a thing around here and I am at a loss to understand why. I find tri-tip to be quite chewy and sometimes quite tough.I get tired just thinking of what it's like to chew that meat. Here it's either served with BBQ sauce or salsa. Neither sauce adds anything to it. 

Oh my!  I'd take parking lot tri-tip in Morro Bay any day. Not unusually chewy. No sauces. And after a morning of kayaking , eating a 6 month RDA amount of  protein - 'so k.  But as always - we are fortunate to have choices..

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

Shop Rite has small lobsters on sale, considering buying a couple and having them steam them for me. I won't deal with cooking live bugs at home. I've made a cold lobster salad once before that had a simple lemon vinaigrette dressing if I decide to just crack and pick rather than eat immediately.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

32 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Shop Rite has small lobsters on sale, considering buying a couple and having them steam them for me. I won't deal with cooking live bugs at home. I've made a cold lobster salad once before that had a simple lemon vinaigrette dressing if I decide to just crack and pick rather than eat immediately.

Or they could split them for you. At home broil with a touch of garlic butter and squeeze lemon at table. Small guys won't take but a few minutes. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 3:08 PM, Toliver said:

I sous vide it for several hours. Wonderfully tender and tasty done that way and finished over charcoal.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Bump!

What happened to us last year lol?

Maybe a new thread was made and I can't find it?

Serious craving for some kind of seafood this year.  I really want briny fresh oysters, clams, shrimp.....sigh.  I could order but it's going to be really hot.  We just bought a slab of pork ribs and Ronnie cold smoked them.  They are now back in the freezer waiting to be finished off.

What's everyone having?

• Like 1

Bison burgers grilled with fixings, beef hot dogs grilled with fixings, chicken legs and thighs (skillet sauteed with onions/mushrooms), cole slaw (old school Betty Crocker recipe version), Hawaiian potato mac salad, canned B&M baked beans, tomato salad, pineapple upside down cake, a sliced watermelon.   Straight on down the line traditional 4th menu.   Belgian beer served at the right temp, not icy cold, for me as my beverage.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1