• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

4th of July

heidih

What I really WANT to build in is a wood fired pizza oven. And I don't even bake pizza that much. But I guess I could use it as a tandoor, couldn't I?

As my sink is on an outside wall that gives onto the deck, it wouldn't be hard to take water out there. I had a friend who built a bricked enclosure his gas grill fits into; I'd like mine to accommodate both the gas grill and a next-door pellet or charcoal grill. His has "doors" so he can roll his grill out and replace it when needed. Then I want that to turn the corner onto a counter that could accommodate bar-height seating and serve as prep space. It would be small -- my deck is not large, but opening onto it is a sunroom where I plan to put a patio dining set.

Down the road, there are plans for a pool in the back yard, too.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Think twice about that pool. Outside of opening and closing I do all the work myself ...couple hours a week if all is going well. Costs maybe 1.5 to 2k a year with opening and closing and chemicals.  

Now that the kids are gone I regret having the thing.

But it looks nice. 

Edited by gfweb (log)

I've had one in the past, and as much as I enjoy it, it's worth the work to me. Also, the grandkids will have a blast in it. Mine will likely be a lower-budget, above-ground model; I've seen people have success with sinking those about two feet, and then building a deck around them. All I want is enough room to float around and soak up some sun, and let the grandkids splash.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

22 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Think twice about that pool. Outside of opening and closing I do all the work myself ...couple hours a week if all is going well. Costs maybe 1.5 to 2k a year with opening and closing and chemicals.  

Now that the kids are gone I regret having the thing.

But it looks nice. 

Mine is 20X40 feet, huge. Came with the house.  My wife wanted to live on the water......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kayb said:

What I really WANT to build in is a wood fired pizza oven. And I don't even bake pizza that much. But I guess I could use it as a tandoor, couldn't I?

As my sink is on an outside wall that gives onto the deck, it wouldn't be hard to take water out there. I had a friend who built a bricked enclosure his gas grill fits into; I'd like mine to accommodate both the gas grill and a next-door pellet or charcoal grill. His has "doors" so he can roll his grill out and replace it when needed. Then I want that to turn the corner onto a counter that could accommodate bar-height seating and serve as prep space. It would be small -- my deck is not large, but opening onto it is a sunroom where I plan to put a patio dining set.

An outdoor oven is a lot of fun and can be as luxe or rustic as you choose.     Ours is the latter.

1455628059_ScreenShot2019-06-30at2_29_23PM.png.7c1224aeba790b0ea7e2e2423c77d068.png

and  provides plenty of opportunity and challenge.     As you say, a pizza oven, a long slow roasting oven, a roaring hot tandoori.    You will be limited only by your imagination and willingness to experiment.    Go for it!   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 7

eGullet member #80.

The Edwards Country Ham after the long, slow cook was fall apart tender and tangy, salty flavor bomb.  We cut the ham into a more manageable size for our small group prior to cooking and stowed the rest of it for the future use.  The ham looked good in the retro Guardianware serving platter.   There was tons of unctuous pork skin with fat leftover.  So I made cracklins this morning, I think.   I've never made cracklins before.

Rest of the meal was baked beans, mashed potatoes, classic iceberg salad.  Dessert was peach hand pies and a "Boy Bait" blueberry cake was brought over by an attendee. 

IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8131.jpg

IMG_8132.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

16 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

The Edwards Country Ham after the long, slow cook was fall apart tender and tangy, salty flavor bomb.  We cut the ham into a more manageable size for our small group prior to cooking and stowed the rest of it for the future use.  The ham looked good in the retro Guardianware serving platter.   There was tons of unctuous pork skin with fat leftover.  So I made cracklins this morning, I think.   I've never made cracklins before.

Rest of the meal was baked beans, mashed potatoes, classic iceberg salad.  Dessert was peach hand pies and a "Boy Bait" blueberry cake was brought over by an attendee. 

IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8131.jpg

IMG_8132.jpg

Dear Lord.  Mr. Kim just came and looked over my shoulder at your post.  I've a very damp shoulder now.  He's off to the shed to dig out some of the Edward's country ham we have there.  I cannot even tell you how much I want some of those cracklins.  Well done!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I've never made cracklins before

Neither have I and I don't know how to comprehend the image. Please tell me how you made the cracklins.

1 minute ago, TdeV said:

Neither have I and I don't know how to comprehend the image. Please tell me how you made the cracklins.

You dice up the skin/fat and fry it rather slowly and the fat renders out and leaves the crispy salty pieces, chicharrones is the same thing.  Cracklins is the American vernacular.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, lemniscate said:

You dice up the skin/fat and fry it rather slowly and the fat renders out and leaves the crispy salty pieces, chicharrones is the same thing.  Cracklins is the American vernacular.

And in Newfoundland we ate scrunchions or scruncheons with our cod.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yup. Made from salt pork though, rather than ham.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 7/6/2019 at 3:44 PM, chromedome said:

Yup. Made from salt pork though, rather than ham.

but they were INCREDIBLE!!!!

ham...salt pork...they were pig!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 11 months later...

We usually have the same menu every year.  Grilled steak, striped bass, and tuna for the mains.  Tomato salad, pasta salad and corn for the sides.  Something strawberry for dessert.  The striped bass has not come in to the fish market yet, nor has the local tuna, so unless that changes the menu will be a little different this year.  I brought the steaks from home, as well as the stuff for the pasta salad, and the strawberries, so we will see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I'm thinking tri tip, charred corn salad, potato salad.

throw in ripe tomatoes ad I am on the doorstep

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's Wednesday up here (Canada Day) but I'm not planning anything much. May buy a lobster for the GF if they're still on sale.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Wow.  Last year's Independence Day seems like a million years ago.  Times have certainly changed.  Holidays now seem to turn into virus hotspots.  I hope everyone stays safe, distances and wears a mask but still can enjoy the holiday.

I don't know yet what we will have.  I really want to make some type of fruit dessert but I don't know that I will get to a grocery store this week.  I could go maybe before my periodontist appt that I am truly petrified of and dreading.  

Anyway.

We have both some pork ribs and beef ribs.  I think maybe two beef steaks in the freezer.  I know we have hot dogs.  I really want seafood like king crab legs or lobster, but that ain't happening this year lol.  OH I do have a bag of frozen blueberries ....might do for my fruit fix.  Smoked chicken sounds good too.  

I'll report back when I have a more solid plan lol.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, chromedome said:

It's Wednesday up here (Canada Day) but I'm not planning anything much. May buy a lobster for the GF if they're still on sale.

If I was back in parts of Atlantic Canada, I'd be tempted to have one of their amazing lobsters just because it was Wednesday, forget about national holidays. 😄

Why is it so hard to get quality lobster here?  

43 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

If I was back in parts of Atlantic Canada, I'd be tempted to have one of their amazing lobsters just because it was Wednesday, forget about national holidays. 😄

Why is it so hard to get quality lobster here?  

(Shrug) It's not really my thing. I'll eat one if it's put in front of me, but I surely won't pay a premium for 'em. My former neighbours back in the seaside area where my restaurant was located were mainly lobstermen, so sometimes I manage to cross paths with the right person at the right time and get one for below-market price.

• Like 1

We'll celebrate a day late, on Sunday, as Child C and her hubby are gone to the lake Saturday. I have a pork loin I think I'm going to throw on the smoker. I've had success before with sous vide and a later smoke. I'll make cole slaw, potato salad, baked beans and corn (as the SIL likes neither potato salad nor slaw, the heathen). There'll be rolls, in the event anyone wants to make sandwiches with pork loin slices. Should be plenty of tomatoes for slicing, or for a tomato salad. I've done one with tomato, watermelon and fresh mozz that's pretty wonderful. I'm thinking dessert may be a blackberry cheesecake, as I have not made one in a good while, and I can make several smaller ones and freeze them without topping. A gracious plenty of beer and hard cider.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.