• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

4th of July

heidih

Well, we were invited to a friend’s house, but I somehow got strong armed by Jessica into doing it at home for just the three of us.  With my mother moving in next week from the rehab facility, Jessica believes that we won't ever have "just us" time again.  And since I am filled with guilt about neglecting Mike and Jess in favor of my mom all the time, I caved. 🙄  So, the menu is:

Chili/cheese dogs

Burgers

Slaw

@caroled's Baked Beans

Deviled eggs

Mac & Cheese

Corn

Chips and dip

Watermelon

• Like 5

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ProfessionalHobbit

disconnect your smoke alarm , temporarily.

pan '-fry-saute '

broiled burgers are about as bad as you can get

not enough heat to get a crust and a fairly rare interior 

should you broil as an only option

you will never make a burger again

so there is that to think about , good or bad.

Many thanks for your input but we won't be doing this because it's

(1) technically illegal per SF's fire codes and 

(2) the property isn't ours; we're renters and our landlord has final say. At the moment, he's not here...and we're not going to bother him on his vacation just so I can cook a burger.

I understand you mean well but in this specific instance, this is really unhelpful advice.

B prefers them broiled anyway, so the above is moot.

Well our 4th of July meal was a nacho bowl at Toyota Stadium in San Antonio while watching my daughter's boy friend play MLS soccer while we viewed  In one of the suites with the other significant others.  Not the most exciting meal but it was a lot of fun although late.  Rained delayed for 2 hrs game ended near midnight 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, dcarch said:

A friend's little boy (6 yo)  made me this.

No. He is not from New Hampshire. ☺️

dcarch

1753411410_74th.thumb.jpg.cac504c0f4adad9fcb71b63b3f6fd204.jpg

So ... blueberries on bread spread with cream cheese, but what are the red stripes that would harmonize with all that?

And so cool a little kid (future chef) came up with this creation.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Im wondering if the strips are cut from a sheet of apricot paste that has been dried

forgot the name for these sheets.

Oh yeh ,  20 years from now  , 3 Michelin stars for sure for him .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Im wondering if the strips are cut from a sheet of apricot paste that has been dried

forgot the name for these sheets.

Oh yeh ,  20 years from now  , 3 Michelin stars for sure for him .

I was going to guess the same - a strawberry or raspberry fruit leather.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

So ... blueberries on bread spread with cream cheese, but what are the red stripes that would harmonize with all that?

And so cool a little kid (future chef) came up with this creation.

Ha! thinned out strawberry jam in a squeeze bottle.

I did have trouble making him understand 9 (blue berries) stars means 9 states. New Hampshire was the 9th State. :-)

dcarch

• Like 3

I had planned to do a cookout at the house, but, with our Georgia relatives here and the weather being excellent--- we opted for an adventure.  First, headed up US41, stopped at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge for lunch, then to Fort Wilkins, parked the cars at the end of 41, piled everyone in the truck and went on a treacherous ride out to High Rock.  Its the highest point in Michigan, going beyond Copper Harbor. ( I jumped off the cliff 2 years ago- on a bet. Won $20.  Lake Superior is really cold. So, everyone else did it this time.)  My knee was not having any of the hiking, but the rest of the gang hiked out to the Nasa rocket launch pad up there for a looksy.  Then hunted agates for awhile.  We suntanned, snacked and swam.  Drove back to Copper Harbor for an incredible firework display right in the harbor.  We had ice cream and coffee at a local shop before the fireworks.   It took forever to get home, and we crashed in our beds immediately. 

If anyone is interested in owning a historic lodge on 177 acres up here- complete with cabins, lodge, restaurant, conference rooms, and golf course...its being auctioned on July 26. :D

• Like 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

@ChocoMom,

I looked up the Keeweenaw Mountain Lodge on Yelp and Trip Advisor and the photographs of the place are really beautiful! It reminded me of the lodge in the Catskills depicted in the movie "Dirty Dancing". (The real lodge where it was filmed is actually in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia.) A lot of the reviews indicate it's sorely in need of new management for this gorgeous property, so maybe the sale will turn out to be a good thing. It has wonderful potential. 

Sounds like you had a great Fourth, and I'm very glad to see your knee is healing well enough to allow swimming.

> ^ . . ^ <

@Thanks for the Crepes   It is a gorgeous lodge, but the meal offerings have gone WAAAYYYY down hill. They used to employ some amazing chefs, and the meals were incredible. Now, its down to burgers, frozen fries, and hot sandwiches.  Very sad.    The banquet conference rooms are beautiful and roomy, overlooking gardens.  The current management there is terrible. I hope someone brilliant takes it over and restores it to its previous standards.   When we arrived, our party of 10 began to seat ourselves in the larger section of the restaurant, and the manager came over and literally scolded us (quite loudly) - making us move to a smaller area.  They had no hostess, so what were we supposed to do? 

As for the knee.....welll. Let's just say the water in Lake Superior is so cold, it numbed the knee- which was my sole purpose for going in. (I use the term "swimming" lightly.)  Its not really much better, just tolerable once its damn near frozen.  Hoping it will heal with rest, but I think I may need to visit Fred ( my ortho) in the near future. 

• Sad 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

• 11 months later...

Time to bump this thread up again. What's everyone planning for the Fourth?

I have some country-style ribs in the freezer. Think I'll sous vide them with some dry rub, then throw them on the smoker for an hour or two with some barbecue sauce to create a nice "crust." Jail slaw. Potato salad. Baked beans. A coconut cake for dessert, since my friend who loves them is coming, and my daughter asked if I'd make one for them (which I will thoroughly enjoy as well). Will be at the ballpark the night before (AAA game in Memphis), so there'll likely be boiled shrimp and beer prior to the game, and fireworks after.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Time to bump this thread up again. What's everyone planning for the Fourth?

I have some country-style ribs in the freezer. Think I'll sous vide them with some dry rub, then throw them on the smoker for an hour or two with some barbecue sauce to create a nice "crust." Jail slaw. Potato salad. Baked beans. A coconut cake for dessert, since my friend who loves them is coming, and my daughter asked if I'd make one for them (which I will thoroughly enjoy as well). Will be at the ballpark the night before (AAA game in Memphis), so there'll likely be boiled shrimp and beer prior to the game, and fireworks after.

Do you have an outdoor kitchen area in your new home?  What kind of smoker do you use?

if I can remember :

Im going to get a Decent Dog

an OK Bun

some red onion I finely chop . 

and perhaps place that chop in ice water 

then pat dry

some mustard

and a fierce charcoal grill  

for the crispy snap of the Dog  

and a Local Ice Cold Beer

JAB-hoponiusunion-web.thumb.png.425214d3c9826726fd2542d5c1d312c7.png

however

Im going to re-read this book :

look for it :

https://www.amazon.com/British-Are-Coming-Lexington-Revolution/dp/1627790438/ref=asc_df_1627790438/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343242926153&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18326752308795537394&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001873&hvtargid=pla-748692684212&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=67797265423&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343242926153&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18326752308795537394&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001873&hvtargid=pla-748692684212

just saying

you will need more than One Dog  and more than One Beer

but you will not be able to but this book down

so plan for More Dogs and More Beers 

until you finish

you will not regret it

all said

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Do you have an outdoor kitchen area in your new home?  What kind of smoker do you use?

No, I don't. Yet. But I have plans, oh, yes, I have plans. The old grill had rusted through the frame, so the kids have gotten me a new gas grill, which is still in the box because I haven't been able to face putting it together yet. I still have another set of patio furniture to put together first.

I have a small electric Masterbilt smoker with a tray for wood chips. It does a surprisingly good job. It'll hold a chicken and a couple of racks of ribs at the same time.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Putting stuff together is a real pain alright.

We added an outdoor kitchen when we built 14 years ago.  It is along the outside wall of our main kitchen.  That way it was easy to bring the water and gas out from the indoor kitchen.  A sink is an absolute must, with hot and cold water and a big sink.

we did a built in Weber four burner bbq.  It is like new still.  I am very religious about cleaning it and putting the cover on when finished using it.  I also have a gas hot plate which is very handy for cooking things that would make a mess inside.  I have hear those smokers are excellent.

Now of it ever warms up around here we can use it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

A sink is an absolute must, with hot and cold water and a big sink. 

Yes, yes, and yes.  And 20 amp outlets for induction burners, instant pots and countertop ovens.  I cook the onions and cabbage type things outside to alleviate inside odors.  Also sear the sous vide meats outside due to smoke.  And good overhead lighting.

• Like 5