• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

4th of July

heidih

""  Grammy's rice salad  ""

Id like to hear a bit more about this

looks good as everything does.

:biggrin:

Well, it's a pretty common recipe, but my Grammy always made it, thus, to me, it's Grammy's  :smile:

Here it is--written at least 20 years ago in a spiral notebook by me.  Very first recipe I ever wrote down in it.

1 box chicken Rice-A-Roni cooked as directed and cooled

Add 3-4 sliced green onions, 8-10 sliced stuffed green olives, 1/4 cup chopped green peppers, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 6 oz. jar of marinated artichoke hearts*****  1/3 - 1/2 cup mayo (NOT Miracle Whip--and homemade mayo is best, but I didn't know that back then ;) ) and 1/4 t. curry.

Mix and refrigerate over night.

******I always use a can of plain art. hearts.  I don't care for the marinated ones.

Don't make fun of my angel food cake.

Ok, you can make fun --we certainly did  :biggrin:   It tasted good, though!

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 4.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 5.JPG

Things I did wrong:

I didn't cool it upside down.

I didn't have cake flour so I used regular.

Maybe I over-beat the white a bit???  

We were going to have champagne, but after all of this, we were just toooooo full.

May have overbeaten, but I suspect oven a little too hot.

• Like 1

Here are the ribs.  I bought them as St. Louis, but I think they were actually baby backs.  Didn't realize it until after I had smoked them, so they were on about an hour too long.  They were still tasty and tender, just not quite as juicy as usual.  Served with cole slaw and corn on the cob.

ribs-corn-slaw.jpg

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

cyalexa, thanks for the comic relief. The plastic bottle and ensuing disaster makes for a great image, but it probably wasn't so funny at the time. :-)

It was a little funnier than the time I tried to carbonate wine in my Penguin Sodastream . The angel food cake episode created a river of soda flowing across the counter. The wine episode was more like a mini hurricane of sticky red liquid all over me, my bar and into all the nooks and crannies of the Penguin. If you have a Penguin Sodastream follow the warnings re. trying to carbonate anything other than water.

• Like 2

Here are the ribs.  I bought them as St. Louis, but I think they were actually baby backs.  Didn't realize it until after I had smoked them, so they were on about an hour too long.  They were still tasty and tender, just not quite as juicy as usual.  Served with cole slaw and corn on the cob.

It's great to see a nice, simple, traditional 4th of July BBQ plate.  Thanks for posting the pic.

... Shel

The pan has "feet" on the edge of the rim.  Angel cakes and chiffon cakes need to be cooled upside down so that they don't collapse since they are baked with no fat.

My mother used to balance hers on a glass pop bottle.

• Like 4

Ok, so this is going to earn me the "dumb question of the year" award.  

No laughing at me.

I put parchment paper on the bottom of my pan (bad move?)  The cake came out of the pan perfectly....but the flip side of that is I promise that if I had turned the pan upside down, the cake would have fallen right out.  What am I missing?

That's the purpose of putting a pop bottle in the hole in the center cone. It holds the center of the cake pan (the loose part) up. My mother never used the feet on the outer part. I suppose if your center part of the cake is so slippery that it slides right off the center cone then it might slide down onto the pop bottle, but I doubt it would hurt anything.

My mother had a large bottle that had once held 7-Up, especially dedicated to sprinkling clothes for ironing and holding up inverted angel cake pans (not at the same time). It was smaller than the family-size bottles you buy now but larger and a single-serving bottle; I'm going to guess about 20 oz but I could be way off there.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It probably needs to be larger than a standard six-pack sized bottle. Maybe it's an excuse to buy yourself a nice bottle of champagne vinegar, perhaps? Or one of those oversized beer bottles would be about right. I think one of the reasons Mom used an oversized bottle was to make sure it had enough mass at the bottom to stand upright with that large cake balanced on it.

Edited for clarity.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It probably needs to be larger than a standard six-pack sized bottle. Maybe it's an excuse to buy yourself a nice bottle of champagne vinegar, perhaps? Or one of those oversized beer bottles would be about right. I think one of the reasons Mom used an oversized bottle was to make sure it had enough mass at the bottom to stand upright with that large cake balanced on it.

Edited for clarity.

What would I do without you guys and Egullet???  I'd be lost, that's what!  :)

• Like 1

No, it won't fall out, even with the parchment paper in the bottom.  It still stuck to the sides and the cone, right?  Usually, after you loosen the sides and the center when it's cooled, lift out the cake by the cone and run a knife around the base and the bottom of the pan and turn it over on a cake plate.

Voila!

Smithy:  The story of your mother's 7-Up bottle for cake cooling and sprinkling ironing is further proof that we were raised in different homes together.  I was about to relate the exact same anecdote.  Jinx!

Edited by annabelle (log)
  • Like 2

Technically I cooked it on the 4th - had the brisket today for dinner and it was really good. Did not get a chance to get photos because it vanished so fast. :)

It probably over cooked slightly by timing, but it was falling apart tender and still very flavorful. Even the ex vegetarian who doesn't like a lot of meaty textures (she dislikes steak of all kinds for example) had seconds. I will try to remember to edit this with the recipe tomorrow in case anyone is interested. (I do warn, though, that it is done in the oven rather than a smoker, so some folks might be offended. :) but I don't have a smoker set up and am not sure the household likes the smoked flavor enough to justify one.)

• Like 1

Shelby – it looks like everyone gave you good advice re: the angel food cake.  It looks great and if it tasted good, that’s all that matters.  Now that you’ve made it, do you think you will do it again?  If you have time, would you mind looking at the recipe again and letting me know if there is anything unclear about it?  Other than the cooling/inverting thing – which never occurred to me and thank you for mentioning it.  I don’t ever get feedback on the recipes and I really want it!  BTW – a regular wine bottle works great for ‘inverting’ over.  Your entire meal looked delicious.  (And am I the only one who thinks it’s slightly odd that this little country girl from Arkansas considers herself “baking challenged”, but knows about and uses tobikko on her deviled eggs?  I had to Google that, girl :raz: .)

menuinprogress – your ribs look perfect.

nickrey – so, how do US wines measure up in Australia?  Do you like ours as much as we like yours :wink: ?

Mark – you made beautiful ribs, too.  We didn’t decide until the last minute (well, lunchtime) that we wanted ribs and Mr. Kim hasn’t smoked them yet, so we did the baked, then grilled route.  But I’m determined to get some smoked ones out of him soon.  Yours look perfect – just sticky enough without being gloppy!

We had cherry cola ribs, creamed corn and baked beans for our Independence Day dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_101440.jpg

and cornbread, of course:

med_gallery_3331_114_114038.jpg

• Like 1

nickrey – so, how do US wines measure up in Australia?  Do you like ours as much as we like yours :wink: ?

We had a very interesting group of wines. A number of Pinots from Oregon; a few Zinfandels, which were probably a bit young; some California Chardonnay; some Rieslings; Pinot Gris; a Blaufankisch; some Grenache, Shiraz, Mourvedre; and some California Cabernets.

I'm not sure if the best wines don't get exported but it was telling that two of our wines of the day were two Californian Cabernets (Robert Mondavi, 1987 and Silver Oak Cellars, 1990) which a New York native brought back from his US cellar (the event was hosted at his place).

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Kim, your recipe was very very clear.  Your recipes are always easy to follow  :smile: .  It was my non-knowledge that was the problem.  You did say to invert the cake over a bottle--I just didn't do that because I thought the cake would fall right out and I didn't know what kind of bottle etc.  I didn't know that was an integral part of the recipe  :blush: .  But now I do!  I will for SURE be making it again.  Tasted WAAAAAY better than store bought.  And, I only have 3 more yolks to use up lol.

I also learned (after the fact) that my mom knows all about making angel food cakes, too.  It seems my great-grandmother was really good at it and she learned from her.

Your ribs look incredible!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

My brother came over and we had brown sugar bacon-wrapped sriracha onion rings (major yum) and black bean pepper jack cheese patties (meh). Watched Captain Phillips. Thought about going to town for the festivities but decided it was too hot.  

I have been tweaking the recipe for the onion rings and have finally found the secret - gochujang and honey instead of sriracha and brown sugar. Now I can make them in half the time with half the mess.

• 1 year later...

BUMP

Boy, my cooking has changed since even last year........

We're cold smoking some ribs right now to be done in the Instant Pot tomorrow.

Smoked chicken will be tonight.

Still trying to figure out what I want for sides.

What is everyone else doing?

• Like 2

Original plan was ribs, slaw, baked beans, maybe potato salad. That may change. Just two of us. I have shrimp I may thaw and just boil or grill those. Or the pork chops that are going to have to be used in the next day or so.

But I will have a special dessert with fresh blackberries. Because I love me a blackberry.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com