• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

3 hours ago, kayb said:

What I really WANT to build in is a wood fired pizza oven. And I don't even bake pizza that much. But I guess I could use it as a tandoor, couldn't I?

As my sink is on an outside wall that gives onto the deck, it wouldn't be hard to take water out there. I had a friend who built a bricked enclosure his gas grill fits into; I'd like mine to accommodate both the gas grill and a next-door pellet or charcoal grill. His has "doors" so he can roll his grill out and replace it when needed. Then I want that to turn the corner onto a counter that could accommodate bar-height seating and serve as prep space. It would be small -- my deck is not large, but opening onto it is a sunroom where I plan to put a patio dining set.

Down the road, there are plans for a pool in the back yard, too.

An outdoor oven is a lot of fun and can be as luxe or rustic as you choose.     Ours is the latter.

1455628059_ScreenShot2019-06-30at2_29_23PM.png.7c1224aeba790b0ea7e2e2423c77d068.png

and  provides plenty of opportunity and challenge.     As you say, a pizza oven, a long slow roasting oven, a roaring hot tandoori.    You will be limited only by your imagination and willingness to experiment.    Go for it!   

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

3 hours ago, kayb said:

What I really WANT to build in is a wood fired pizza oven. And I don't even bake pizza that much. But I guess I could use it as a tandoor, couldn't I?

As my sink is on an outside wall that gives onto the deck, it wouldn't be hard to take water out there. I had a friend who built a bricked enclosure his gas grill fits into; I'd like mine to accommodate both the gas grill and a next-door pellet or charcoal grill. His has "doors" so he can roll his grill out and replace it when needed. Then I want that to turn the corner onto a counter that could accommodate bar-height seating and serve as prep space. It would be small -- my deck is not large, but opening onto it is a sunroom where I plan to put a patio dining set.

An outdoor oven is a lot of fun and can be as luxe or rustic as you choose.     Ours is the latter.

1455628059_ScreenShot2019-06-30at2_29_23PM.png.7c1224aeba790b0ea7e2e2423c77d068.png

and  provides plenty of opportunity and challenge.     As you say, a pizza oven, a long slow roasting oven, a roaring hot tandoori.    You will be limited only by your imagination and willingness to experiment.    Go for it!   

Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 2.30.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 2.30.35 PM.png

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 2.30.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 2.30.35 PM.png