• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sapote - how to ripen and use

heidih

Ripen them the same way as you would treat an avocado. They have seeds that are smaller than an avocado pit, sometimes just one but there can be more, shaped like extra-large almonds.

They are ripe when they give slightly, similar to a peach or nectarine. I peel them as the skin can be a bit bitter.

They are quite sweet and when fully ripe have a texture like custard.

When I lived in Reseda I had a good sized tree in my yard that produced a lot of fruit, with no attention at all.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Gee, and here I was expecting pictures of Mamey or Zapote Naranja (which are the usual sapotes in my part of the world). Yours look like white sapotes, which can be ripened exactly as Andie suggests. After that, I like sapote smoothies - cut the fruit in half, pick out the seeds (they're quite large) and scoop the flesh into the blender with a little vanilla yoghurt and milk. They've got very little fibre so you don't even have to do the extra step of liquifying with water and straining for pulp.

Of course, they're also great out of hand....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)