• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Train Seat Reservations

Peter B Wolf

I know someone posted a phone number here before to make train seat reservations in, or for French trains.

Anyway, I copied the number at that time (0 –11-33.8.36.35.35.39 is the telephone number for an English-speaking SNCF reservationist.).

This number works ideally, I called and ask for seat reservations for TGV Paris-Irun, gave date and time and train number (Cooks Timetable), the fluent English speaking lady ask for my VISA card and address, and in four days I had my seat reservations (I have a EUROPASS SAVER ticket) in hard copy in my mail. ( all that for just Euro 3.00 including mailing - read on!)

Now, to make reservations for other trains outside of France, the issue becomes an issue in Spain: The number to call (01134-902-240 202) has no one speaking English. When I hobbled thru my Spanish with the person on line, I was told: that the number is only for making a reservation that will hold for only 48 hours, one must have a valid ticket (Europass does not count as valid).

Now, I asked my brother in law (who lives in Madrid), to go to the train station (Chamartin) and make my reservations for three different trains, dates, times and routes. Again, can not do!! Spanish rules: Only for 48 hours, plus, no ticket - no reservation.

How do Eurail ticket holders cope with this.

The frustration becomes more immenent, when a particular train is a 'Night Train' with mainly sleeping cars and only one coach for 'seating 1st Class'. By the time I arrive to use this train, these seats can most likely be totally sold and I must take a sleeper (at a horrendous cost).

Now again, in Germany, a friend that lives there, went to the train station and procured seat reservations for all kind of trains without ever showing a ticket.

Oh, it is known to me to be able to make reservations thru the agent where I bought the Pass here in the States, but at $11.00 per person per trip leg versus 3.00 EURO in country. On top of that they charge also a $ 20.00 handling fee for up to three reserves, more $ for more reserves.

Does anyone have some kind of solution?

Does anyone have a phone number and or address for the so called EUROGROUP that is responsible for Eurail Passes?

And what can my recourse be? :sad:

Thanks

Peter

Thank you Steve, but been there, ain't working. Not even the finno-ugrik connection will reserve. :hmmm:

Nickn: at least you could have offered a ferry, our Maine ties to water, but hitch-hike? :cool:

Seriously, The original SNCF number poster, was it BUX?, might have a solution.

Peter

You might get some answers if you post your questions on the Lonely Planet site. Go to lonelyplanet.com, then click on Thorn Tree (which is the message board section), then scroll down until you find the Western Europe board. This can be quite a helpful site.

Kathy

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I don't know much about booking Spanish trains online or in person. My wife's comment on this is that the Spanish railway system is not as advanced as either the French or German. That statement is applicable to both the railway network and the reservations system. Lots of trains operate without seat reservations. Have you tried the RENFE web site. The English version is at http://www.renfe.es/ingles/index.html. My guess is that it's not nearly as helpful as the French which I've used, and certainly not as good as the German web site.

I'm unfamilar with the "EUROGROUP" to which you refer. Perhaps you are referring to RailEurope who hold the monopoly on sales of all tickets delivered in the U.S. Their charges are astronomical. On a recent trip of ours in France, the cost of buying the tickets here through RailEurope was over 50% more than making the reservations with sncf, paying by phone (or online) with a credit card and picking up the tickets in France. This is the major reason my wife discourages her clients from getting their tickets delivered before they leave for Europe. Admittedly, she's also not much of a fan of the Eurailpass and often finds it's cheaper to purchase poin to point tickets in Europe or on the web directly. This is especially true for those who can avail themselves of the many discounts for families and senior citizens. The Eurailpass can be excellent for those getting on and off trains frequently and traveling great distances. It's well suited for students, who don't need or want reservations and prefer to hop on and off trains on a whim.

I suspect this is one of those times when it is best to fully be advised of all the restrictions on use of a pass as well as how to secure reservations when one purchases it. I wish I could be more helpful.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.