• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cube by Electrolux

all my photos 622.JPG

The Cube is perhaps the ultimate pop up restaurant. It has already made an appearance in three major European cities atop of some incredible buildings.

In London it makes its appearance on top of the Royal Festival Hall, giving pectacular views out over the River Thames, Big Ben, The Houses of Parliament etc, etc.

Its runs until the end of September and features some of the UK's top chefs who are all Michelin starred. Daniel Clifford, Claude Bosi, and Tom Kitchin are amongst those who feature.

We ate here three weeks ago when Daniel Clifford was cooking. In between then and now Claude Bosi has made an appearance for one week and Daniel has another week starting tomorrow.

More details are here http://www.electrolu....uk/Cube/London

all my photos 653.JPG

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

• 3 weeks later...

claude bosi 003.JPG

We made another visit to The Cube. This time it was to eat Claude Bosi 's food.

Five courses plus bites, amuse, pre dessert, wines, champagne, tea or coffee.

Wild Salmon, Pigs Head, Barigoule.

claude bosi 015.JPG

Label Anglaise Chicken, Liquorice, Banana. Kaffir Lime.

claude bosi 025.JPG

Claude was helped out by his former head chef Marcus McGuiness and he informed me that in about 4/5 months they will jointly open a new restaurant. He did stress however it will NOT be fine dining.

Claude Bosi and Marcus McGuinness.

claude bosi 038.JPG

@d_goodfellow1

How was the food, David?

I'd been a big fan of Bosi's food when he was at Ludlow but was unthrilled the second time we ate at Hibiscus in London. That's a couple of years back and we've not been back.

John Hartley

Overall John the food was good. Not perhaps the best that I have eaten this year but far more enjoyable than say another two Michelin starred establishment we visited recently :wink:

Other guests in our immediate vicinity had nothing but praise for the food. The salmon, chicken, and a peas, wincle, chorizo dish were enjoyable.

One dish that I thought just OK was a dessert. Peas, Moroccan Mint, Coconut. Interesting, but not entirely to my taste. But hey its all down to personal taste in the end.

Of course this venue is about more than just the food. It is special on a different level to other restaurant meals. Its truly unique, and very, very enjoyable.

@d_goodfellow1

I think it's Bosi's "thing" to be including vegetables in his desserts. Last time we were at Hibiscus (12/10) there was an apple & celeriac pre-dessert. We weren't thrilled with it.

John Hartley

Of course this venue is about more than just the food. It is special on a different level to other restaurant meals. Its truly unique, and very, very enjoyable.

and free?

is it bookable for the public or just a showcase?

you don't win friends with salad

By the way what is a "wincle"

Tiny sea snail type thingy.

Not very tasty to my mind. Had them as part of an otherwise very good "fruits de mer" in Calais a couple of years back

John Hartley

Interesting post on the actual food (rather than the spelling of a particular type of shellfish!). David I particularly enjoyed the full report on your blog. I've been to Hibiscus a couple of times. Both times the food was excellent, there always seems to be something that was not quite to my taste but I can recognise the quality of the cooking and presentation. Your post has made me think it may be time for another visit, whether it has made me decide to change ovens is another matter :wink:

Andrew

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't The Cube some kind of attempt at creating a viral buzz around Electrolux by comping bloggers?

You are not wrong. However, the attempt's success only depends on the integrity of bloggers. I've heard some of them flatly refuse to become pawns in any type of commercial campaign :laugh:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't The Cube some kind of attempt at creating a viral buzz around Electrolux by comping bloggers?

You are not wrong. However, the attempt's success only depends on the integrity of bloggers. I've heard some of them flatly refuse to become pawns in any type of commercial campaign :laugh:

If that is the case Man I have the utmost respect for you and your reviews, as the ability to remain impartial seems to be very very difficult to the majority of bloggers.