• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago Restaurant Supply

Frege

Can anyone give some advice on restaurant supply stores in Chicago? I'm not looking for a place for fixtures, but for a wide range of utensils, gadgets, china, etc. I went to Northwestern Cutlery and Herzog, and I thought they were both pretty poor - they weren't even up to the standard of average places on the Bowery, not to speak of J.B. Prince. Suggestions would be most appreciated.

If your having trouble finding products that meet your area's requirements then ordering online might be your best solution. There are many restaurant equipment and supply companies that ship all over the country and their online stores gives you more options than any physical location can give you. It should make it easier to find what you are looking for.

Food Service Warehouse

The Webstraunt Store

KaTom Restaurant Supply

J.E.S. Restaurant Equipment (that's me!)

Instawares

These are just a few of the online companies, the one I work for and our major competitors. Trust me, I'm NOT trying to sell you something or persuade you towards my company, I just work on their website and I know we list over 30,000 products online and were smaller compared to the other companies so I an only imagine what they offer. And if you can't find what your looking for on their websites I'm sure all of them have call centers like my company where you can talk to a sales rep and describe what you need and they can look it up for you. Sorry I couldn't provide anything local, it just sounds like you have already visited most everything in the area and were disappointed.

-Now Ya Cookin'

Since the demise of the Edward Don Retail Outlet, there has not been a Retail Store serving that need , all the rest simply cater to housewives and as suggested on-line is where to purchase.

Some Wholesale Restaurant Supply houses do let you in with an appointment such as Yamasho or will deal with you over the phone such as Edward Don but there is no place that you can walk in and browse.-Dick

Have you been through Olympic on Cicero just north of Midway? Another to consider is Schweppe in Lombard on Lake Street.

Edited by JBailey (log)

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks