• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

I make Banh Mi with grilled pork tenderloin.  We grew up on Banh Mi's in Northern Virginia (DC) where many Vietnamese settled after the fall of Saigon. They opened eateries, but the best Banh Mi's were the ones sold at counters in convenience stores owned by Vietnamese. When we retired and moved to AZ, there were none to be found in our isolated town, 100 miles south of Tucson on the MXN border.  I researched a lot of recipes and came up with this one which suits us.  

We have a home in FL where we have a number of Vietnamese eateries.  The best Banh Mi for us is the one at a French-Viet bistro, Alesias in St. Pete.  Her grilled pork is a very coarsely ground pork shoulder, made in-house.  I tried using ground pork but could not find a coarse texture, so I still used grilled tenderloin.  

Now we are living primarily in Central Mexico so it's up to me to make them again.  I usually set it up as a Banh Mi bar so everyone can assemble their own.  This recipe makes 8 sandwiches.

2# pork tenderloin

5 tbl. fish sauce
6 tbl. brown sugar
3 tbl. soy sauce
1 tbl. sesame oil
6 garlic cloves
2" ginger minced/grated
6 green onions, sliced thin
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 tbl veg oil

2 loaves French baguettes (each cut into 4 pieces) or 8 mini baguette rolls.  
2 seedless cukes, peeled and sliced very thin lenghtwise
pickled carrots (see below)
sliced fresh jalapenos or serranos
2 bunches cilantro
Pate (opt. but recommended).  Use a spreadable chicken liver or duck liver pate.
Red chile mayonnaise (chili garlic sauce mixed with mayo to your desired spice level)

Cut tenderloin across grain into thin 3 or 4 inch long pieces (big enough not to fall through grill).  
Mix ingredients from fish sauce to veg oil.  Add meat and marinate at room temperature at least 3 hours and up to 5, but no more than 5 as the pork will start to disintegrate. 

Grill pork over hot charcoal or gas grill. Let rest while you assemble sandwiches.

Assemble sandwiches: 
Slice baguettes and generously spread chili-mayo on one side, pate on the other.  Add cukes, meat, pickled carrots (see below), cilantro and peppers.  

Pickled carrots (or equal amounts carrots and daikon)...make a day ahead at least.
1/2 # carrots shredded
1/2 c water
1 c cider vinegar
1 tbl salt
2 tbl sugar
Mix and let sit overnight (or at least 4 hours). 

gulfporter

gulfporter

I make Banh Mi with grilled pork tenderloin.  We grew up on Banh Mi's in Northern Virginia (DC) where many Vietnamese settled after the fall of Saigon. They opened eateries, but the best Banh Mi's were the ones sold at counters in convenience stores owned by Vietnamese. When we retired and moved to AZ, there were none to be found in our isolated town, 100 miles south of Tucson on the MXN border.  I researched a lot of recipes and came up with this one which suits us.  

We have a home in FL where we have a number of Vietnamese eateries.  The best Banh Mi for us is the one at a French-Viet bistro, Alesias in St. Pete.  Her grilled pork is a very coarsely ground pork shoulder, made in-house.  I tried using ground pork but could not find a coarse texture, so I still used grilled tenderloin.  

Now we are living primarily in Central Mexico so it's up to me to make them again.  I usually set it up as a Banh Mi bar so everyone can assemble their own.

2# pork tenderloin

5 tbl. fish sauce
6 tbl. brown sugar
3 tbl. soy sauce
1 tbl. sesame oil
6 garlic cloves
2" ginger minced/grated
6 green onions, sliced thin
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 tbl veg oil

2 loaves French baguettes or 8 mini baguette rolls.  
2 seedless cukes, peeled and sliced very thin lenghtwise
pickled carrots (see below)
sliced fresh jalapenos or serranos
2 bunches cilantro
Pate (opt. but recommended).  Use a spreadable chicken liver or duck liver pate.
Red chile mayonnaise (chili garlic sauce mixed with mayo to your desired spice level)

Cut tenderloin across grain into thin 3 or 4 inch long pieces (big enough not to fall through grill).  
Mix ingredients from fish sauce to veg oil.  Add meat and marinate at room temperature at least 3 hours and up to 5, but no more than 5 as the pork will start to disintegrate. 

Grill pork over hot charcoal or gas grill. Let rest while you assemble sandwiches.

Assemble sandwiches: 
Slice baguettes and generously spread chili-mayo on one side, pate on the other.  Add cukes, meat, pickled carrots (see below), cilantro and peppers.  

Pickled carrots (or equal amounts carrots and daikon)...make a day ahead at least.
1/2 # carrots shredded
1/2 c water
1 c cider vinegar
1 tbl salt
2 tbl sugar
Mix and let sit overnight (or at least 4 hours).