• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pyrex measures are a-changin' and not for the better!

andiesenji

I noticed this a few days ago in the local kitchen store and intended to post about it but forgot until I was reminded by today's America's Test Kitchen segment.

Pyrex has changed the shape of the glass measures and it makes no sense to me.

They have also added solid red paint around half of the outside, which makes it more difficult to read the levels.

It's not so bad on the larger measures - the 8 cup or 4 cup but for the smaller 1 and 2 cup measures to me they are awkward to use.

They still make a 2 cup that is the traditional shape with straighter sides and red spots to indicate the graduated measurement levels.

I already have a large supply of every size of the traditional Pyrex measures, which I intend to keep using.

If anyone has only one and like the way it works, see if local stores have any of the "old" style still on hand and buy at least one backup.

Otherwise, watch yard sales and thrift stores and pick up what you may need in the future.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

But this old dog does not want to learn new tricks! I guess that makes some sense but the old bio major in me is used to reading the meniscus. Has anyone had practical experience with this new style?

I have some of the measures made for reading from the top and they are okay, especially with very opaque liquids. However several can't go in the microwave.

Like you, I am used to reading the line of the meniscus - I even have some graduated laboratory measures which I use from time to time because I can put them over direct heat.

In the store I picked up one of the new measures and it just felt awkward in my hand - the balance is different and I think the smaller base would make them easier to tip over accidentally.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I picked up one of the 8 cup new design for tempering chocolate - and I actually like it - mostly because it provides a bigger opening to get chocolate back into the bowl out of a mold without spilling over the edge. That being said - I still pick up any of the old design I can find when I see them. Anna got me a couple from garage sales a couple of weeks ago.

The shape change seems to be a result of the "read-from-above" feature, sloping the sides out so there is more separation between the gradations when looking down into the glass.

Meh. When I see this feature on lab glassware, I'll consider the possibility that it might be a good idea.

When I read about this in Cook's Illustrated last summer, I really wondered what they were thinking, since it just doesn't like a good way to optimize accuracy.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Another meniscus-reader here..... Read from the top seems to me to be almost counterintuitive, given the generation upon generation of bakers that grew up with and are perfectly accustomed to the "classic" shape of Pyrex measuring cups. I'd also want to see how stable the new design is - it seems to be an awfully small base to support the volumes of liquid/flour (heavy things, yes?) that one is expected to measure in them.

On the good news front, though, Anchor-Hocking hasn't changed the shape of their cups one single bit. (Incidentally, what I've got apart from an excellent digital scale, are Anchor cups and graduated tempered beakers and cylinders. Oddly enough, I bought both at the same place - the chemical supply shop.)

ETA - Sorry, my 34 oz'ers are from Marinex.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Meh. When I see this feature on lab glassware, I'll consider the possibility that it might be a good idea.

When I read about this in Cook's Illustrated last summer, I really wondered what they were thinking, since it just doesn't like a good way to optimize accuracy.

What makes you think they are thinking about accuracy at all? This is all about convenience (or at least, the appearance of convenience, since of course it's really all about selling more Pyrex!). The reviewers on amazon.com seem happy with the thing, and to be honest, when I need precision in measuring liquids I go by weight anyway. I only use my Pyrex for casual liquid quantities where a half ounce here or there doesn't affect anything.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

What makes you think they are thinking about accuracy at all? This is all about convenience (or at least, the appearance of convenience, since of course it's really all about selling more Pyrex!). The reviewers on amazon.com seem happy with the thing, and to be honest, when I need precision in measuring liquids I go by weight anyway. I only use my Pyrex for casual liquid quantities where a half ounce here or there doesn't affect anything.

I have to admit I trust lab glassware as much as I trust a scale (and I'm big on using scales), since labs still do use the stuff, and it isn't for want of available scales. But agreed, the updated model is all about selling more Pyrex.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I have to admit I trust lab glassware as much as I trust a scale (and I'm big on using scales), since labs still do use the stuff [...]

Labs are also staffed by trained professionals who (nominally) take their time to get things right. I find precision easier to achieve with a scale, and I have more confidence in my ability to read numbers off a screen than to evaluate the position of the meniscus relative to a bunch of little red lines that may or may not actually themselves be accurate.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Dear Pyrex. Please reference New Coke. Have a good night. :rolleyes:

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I'm not so much worried about accuracy as I am stability. I do not bake very often so most of my recipes can afford to have measurements that are slightly off. But I have very limited counter space in my tiny apartment kitchen so most of my containers sit very close together when I'm coking. I feel like that cup would be very easy to knock over because of it's tiny base, which wouldn't provide me any "convenience" at all. I'm a Pyrex lover and I do need more measuring cups but this is one product of theirs I will be staying away from : (

Edited by NowAmandasCookin (log)

-Now Ya Cookin'

I have a bunch of the various sizes of the Pyrex and Anchor Hocking measurers.

One of my older models has the red markings mostly worn off.

One of the Pyrex 2-cups has a cloudy circle that's developed in the base...WTF?

I do NOT like the Oxo style, accuracy is what I'm after and I don't think I get it and I DON'T want a plastic measure, it's not stable enough and can't go in the m/w.

I'll be looking to pick up a backup for the classic type Pyrex next time I'm at the store.

I was at Bed, Bath and Beyond today and checked out the range of 1, 2, 4, Pyrex measuring cups on display. All were the older, more conventional style (like this), save a single 1-cup unit in the newer, more conical shape so it seems they are still available in some locations, at least.

I have another beef with the new Pyrex measuring cups. It may be a manufacturing flaw in mine but I have the 4 cup and it does not pour well. There is always a stream that flows back along the outside of the body and onto the counter. My Anchor Hocking pours great.

I am in the apparent minority but I really love the Oxo cups. I have both the old style Pyrex and Oxo and use them all. I personally think the 2 ounce Oxo is brilliant.

I think that Pyrex is making a big mistake. Local people have nothing good to say for the new style. I can understand that it would work for some tasks, as Kerry mentioned, but for regular kitchen use, they are awkward to use and store.

a couple of years ago a friend gave me one of these measures sort of as a joke.

I like it so much I ordered three more.

They have measurements in cups and ounces as well as metric - unlike regular lab glass measures.

And they are cheaper at this price for this size = 2 1/2 cups than most lab glass from lab suppliers.

I wish they produced a quart or 1 liter size but have not so far.

I have not yet chipped or broken any of them and have not exactly treated them delicately.

As I reported in my first post, I do have a lot of old Pyrex plus Anchor Hocking, up to 2 quart and one, precious Hazel Atlas 2 1/2 quart measure/mixing bowl with handle which I use constantly.

I like the antique straight-sided McKee glass measures with the pouring lips on three sides and picked up several before other folks began collecting them. They can still be found in thrift stores if you look sharp. They come in several clear colors as well as the opaque green, light blue and rarely in cobalt with white markings.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

... to be honest, when I need precision in measuring liquids I go by weight anyway. I only use my Pyrex for casual liquid quantities where a half ounce here or there doesn't affect anything.

Wait, Chris - are you saying you keep the specific gravity in mind of each of your liquids? Or do you just add the liquid in question to a beaker on a scale until you have the desired mass?

I like the small Oxo "look down" cups for measuring up to a quarter-cup, but it has more to do with convenience, compactness and resolution down to a (more or less) tablespoon than with precision. For larger quantities I have a wonderful measuring cone that goes up to 2 cups, with gradations marking tablespoons, teaspoons, ounces, cups, pints and milliliters; its principal drawbacks are that it's some plastic prone to cracking with hot liquid and that it doesn't go up to the traditional 4 cups. For hot liquids and 1-quart measures I have my trusty Pyrex set. Guess I'll have to be more careful with them.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Wait, Chris - are you saying you keep the specific gravity in mind of each of your liquids? Or do you just add the liquid in question to a beaker on a scale until you have the desired mass?

The latter: for example, Modernist Cuisine lists all ingredients by weight, even liquids. Of course with water it's easy to interchange if you want to, but with anything else the recipe has to be written with weights, or you have to look up the appropriate conversion.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I'm grateful for the alert that this thread raised for me. Last night while at my local Bed, Bath and Beyond I found both the old and new style Pyrex measures. I don't think much of the new design. Since they did have both the old and the new, I took the opportunity to pick up a one cup and a 1 quart measure, old style of course, my my daughter and her fiance.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So we were sitting in the living room yesterday, chatting to family, when suddenly there's this large explosion in the kitchen, in the oven. I was cooking beef kidneys and liver for the dogs in an old Pyrex casserole dish when it exploded in the oven. Yes, it was old. Bought at St. V de P in the last few years as I recall. Not scratched...as I recall...can't tell know.

Fortunately it was not a covered dish and it split open and apart so the food was not compromised. And I did check it all with the proverbial fine-toothed comb. But it was a mess and it was a shock.

Just reporting in. A first for us in over 52 years.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.