• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blender Jar - Is Poly Really Better?

weinoo

So, for the first time since I've been using my Blendtec, my blender jar turned cloudy. And even a run through the dishwasher didn't clear it up.

I don't blend spices. I don't blend rocks. What I do (as I've always done), is make sorbet base in the blender - that's sugar, water, flavorings, etc. Last night I decided to make the base for a lime sorbet. So into the blender went sugar, water, freshly squeezed lime juice and the grated zest of 1 lime. Next thing I know, cloudy blender jar.

Why?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My experience (albeit with a VitaPrep) is that if it seems cloudy it can often be made clear with judicious application of hand-washing. That said, the literature that comes with the VitaPrep enjoins the user from washing the canister in the dishwasher, and I never have. Dishwasher detergents have abrasives and other things that will inevitably scratch plastic and make it cloudy. If you've been washing yours in the dishwasher, it's possible that you scratched away enough of the coating that this batch was the last straw and now you have permanent clouding.

As far as I know, only Oster has a tempered glass canister.

--

I've permanently clouded the lid of my robot-coupe when processing a ganache with pure cinnamon oil. I'm 99% sure it was the cinnamon oil that etched the plastic.

Plastic blender jugs have three good points: Cheap, won't break into (sharp) slivers, and light weight.

That being said, they crack, scar very easy, and cloud up very easy. They can also absorb odours and stains much easier than glass . "Selected" family members have also managed to melt the jug, although they haven't 'fessed up as to how.

S/S is a very good option, although you can't see through it, but it is virtually bomb-proof.

• 2 weeks later...

We have some plastic glasses (not sure what kind of plastic) that we no longer use for gin & tonics because the lime wedges caused the surface of the plastic to get cloudy. I believe it is the lime oil.

• 1 year later...

S/S is a very good option, although you can't see through it, but it is virtually bomb-proof.

I have two blenders with SS canisters. IMO, that's the way to go. Indestructable, quick and easy cleanup, no staining or food odors.

Yeah, you can't see through them, but after a while you learn to adjust to that deficiancy.

... Shel