• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to serve with Tortilla Espanola

Emily_R

Hi all --

I'm having a dinner party for vegetarian friends tomorrow night, and am trying to figure out the menu. At the same time, I've got a glut of fresh eggs, so I thought I might make a tortilla espanola as an starter to drink with wine on the patio. But I'm trying to think of what other nibbles would be good to serve with it that are vegetarian. I figured a bowl of olives, but what else? Ideally it would be some type of finger food, but I guess I could do a salad...

Any thoughts?

Em

Warm items could include:

stuffed mushroom caps

stuffed mini veggies like tiny eggplants or tiny peppers

falafel

roasted halves of new potatoes that have been hollowed out a bit on one end to hold a filling and flattened on the other to stay upright filled with veggie curry

My initial reaction on seeing the thread title was Papitas a lo Pobre (new potatoes poached in olive oil with garlic, red onion and green pepper). I've got no idea how to make that hors d'ouvre-y, though.... Maybe the individual papitas on picks with a bit of the other veggie?

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Hey All --

Thanks for the suggestions! I picked up some marcona almonds, a big hunk of Manchego, and a bowl full of mixed olives. Figure I'll serve some fresh sugar snap peas and some radishes along side...

Emily

I always salt the radishes an hour or two ahead of time - takes some of the bite out, and makes them a little pickly.

And a quick heat-up on a hot griddle will make your sugar snaps even more delicious.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Salt the radishes? Will do! As for blanching / lightly cooking the sugar snaps, that I don't know... I'm not sure I want anything that would diminish their crunch. But maybe I'll blanch a few for myself to taste test!

Salt the radishes? Will do! As for blanching / lightly cooking the sugar snaps, that I don't know... I'm not sure I want anything that would diminish their crunch. But maybe I'll blanch a few for myself to taste test!

Yes, salt! Usually I cut the radishes in half, but whole will work. Just toss them with a tablespoon or so of kosher salt, and let them sit. Them rinse and dry before serving.

You'd be surprised that a proper blanching (or even griddling) will actually bring out the crunch.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Sugar snap peas are prettier and tastier after a 2-3 minute bath in boiling water, then tossed in ice water. They look like jewels!

I have found that if you tip and tail sugar snap or snow peas AFTER this treatment, they do not absorb so much (or any?) water.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali