• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When to salt meat?

TheCulinaryLibrary

An unresolved question for me from a past post, is when it's best to Salt Meat? There seems to be no concensus. Do you get the juciest, most tender result from salting a few hours before cooking or at the time of cooking or afterwards? or a combination?. I'm watching Matt Moran on Masterchef Australia salt his meat just before cooking and it's making me absolutely cringe in disbelief !! It flies in the face of everything I've been taught (Cordon Bleu London & Elizabeth Russell's) and everything I've read since. Can someone convince me with the science?

I almost always salt before (often, a standard or a 'dry' brine) but this does depend on the results you want (discussed, in the Salt meat before or after you cook? topic, and a search should turn up more). Science? Something to do with salt concentration and diffusion (courtesy of Harold McGee's works, Cook's Illustrated, and Modernish Cuisine), but I'm afraid I don't recall the details accurately, offhand.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

If i cook just for myself, then i put salt before cooking. But if i cook for someone else, i put combination, just a little before cooking and after cooking because someone more like non-salt and someone likes more salty food.

By the way, good question! Im interested to see other people's opinion!

Edited by rod rock (log)

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

I think it depends on what's being cooked. If I've got a lamb shoulder, a pork butt or even a whole chicken, I like to salt copiously and let sit in the fridge for a day or two before cooking.

On the other hand, if I'm cooking a skinny filet of flounder, I salt right before cooking.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I salt before, generally when I get it out of the fridge and put what ever on while I let it come up to room temperature (an other one of those often disputed things, necessary or not? I don't care, I have it sitting there while I do other things.

I've never salted/rubbed anything a day before or even hours before, I somewhat doubt it makes much of a difference. Whole chicken might develop a nicer crunchy skin, I don't know.

Pork I often use Dizzy Pig rubs, beef I mostly only use s&p, chicken the same. Beef might get some finishing salt on the cutting board, and lately I've made "board dressing" to put the meat on for resting and slicing (garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, olive oil - all mashed up together. Great, try it!)

There's a whole bunch of science, but personally I never found it made much of a difference to do this hours or a day before (I've tried) so I just do it when I get to it while prepping dinner.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Years ago I remember a lady guest chef on a Martha Stewart show mention salting before makes meat or most dishes taste seasoned. Salting afterward makes it just taste 'salted'. Last night I grilled Kansas City Strip steaks. I expected son and his GF to arrive around six or seven so I salted the room temperature steaks about 5 pm. It was after 9 pm before they got done helping her sister move and that is when the steaks went on the grill. they looked absolutely dryed out but everyone commented on how well they tasted. They were grilled to medium rare to medium and were juicy and tender.

Salting a stew such a long time before would seem unnecessary since the meat cooking process is longer and the results are different.

ON edit, BTW, I used a flake Kosher salt from Penseys on the steaks with some fresh cracked pepper. No other seasonings were used.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

On beefsteaks, and fresh salmon steaks,I always salt with the real fine grained canning and pickling salt,then let it sit on the counter for a while ,while I get the pans heated up and ready to cook,makes the saltyness less severe,and more even in the meat/fish...

Bud

Alice Water recommends salting meat as soon as you bring it home from the store, wrap it back up and stick it in the fridge. I haven't tried it yet to see if it makes a difference. I usually salt when I pull meat out to come to temp before cooking/roasting/grilling.