• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Reubens, Rachels, and Friends

Chris Hennes

I'd imagine that the trick with making turkey pastrami would be the cooking part. Turkey will rubberize pretty easily. I think sous vide would be the way to go. I do this with cold smoked but uncured turkey and it comes out nicely.

• 8 years later...

...and, eight years later, I'm still at it. I still don't know what we're supposed to call a sandwich that is basically a Reuben but made with Pastrami, but that's what I had for lunch today. For amusement, I broke out my old, beat-to-hell copy of Joy of Cooking and made Thousand Island dressing from scratch (I made the chili sauce variant rather than the ketchup one). The pastrami is the Modernist Cuisine recipe made with local Wagyu short ribs and shredded, rather than sliced (no real reason, I just felt like it). The bread is the Modernist bread Marble Rye (a blend of Jewish Deli Rye and American-style Pumpernickel), and the sauerkraut is the Juniper Sauerkraut from The Everyday Fermentation Handbook by Brandon Byers. My wife gave me some crap for using non-homemade pickles in the Thousand Island, so I guess I have to get a couple jars of those going...

DSC_6625.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 5

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

46 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

My wife gave me some crap for using non-homemade pickles in the Thousand Island, so I guess I have to get a couple jars of those going...

The sandwich looks and sounds amazing but I had to use the "laugh" emoji because of the above quoted line. My late wife was the same. Me: homemade pie and crust but made in foil pans because I was giving them away. Her: "Really? Disposable pans? Do I even know you?" :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

The sandwich looks and sounds amazing but I had to use the "laugh" emoji because of the above quoted line. My late wife was the same. Me: homemade pie and crust but made in foil pans because I was giving them away. Her: "Really? Disposable pans? Do I even know you?" :D

Oh, but you don't throw them away! You roast peanuts or toast pecans in them. Or make peanut brittle. And when they're too banged up to use, you use them as targets to sight in your rifle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Oh, but you don't throw them away! You roast peanuts or toast pecans in them. Or make peanut brittle. And when they're too banged up to use, you use them as targets to sight in your rifle.

Yeah, I know all about that. She was the queen of "don't throw that away, it may be useful for something." It was more her taking a jab at me because I was generally so picky about everything I did cooking related. :D I made the, possibly incorrect, assumption that that's what Chris was getting as well... but it's entirely possible his wife just takes her pickles seriously. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

14 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I made the, possibly incorrect, assumption that that's what Chris was getting as well... but it's entirely possible his wife just takes her pickles seriously. 

Your assumption was correct (though she does take her pickles seriously...).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org