• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Hennes

"Modernist Cuisine at Home" by Myhrvold and Bilet

Got mine today.

It arrived in Australia with an outside Amazon box which was so bent out of shape that it wasn't sealed any longer.

Thinking the worst, I opened it to find everything in perfect condition :smile:

got my bookplate yest. great fun. and BTW perfectly packed from the Source!

got my bookplate yest. great fun. and BTW perfectly packed from the Source!

Could you post a picture of the bookplate?

Pot smoking I don't mind, kids get the munchies hot wing sales go right through the roof but when those kids get on god knows what they eat like little birds.

Another "nice to have" would have been more "Best Bets" tables. I find them one of most useful items in the original volumes, and simpler tables could have been included here.

The things I found most useful out of MC were the tables for things like frying batters and pickles etc. where you would move down the table for the different types of batter/pickle and then across the table for the ingredients for a particular batter/pickle. I use these tables alot!

This would have worked really well for things like the different pestos as well as the infused fats and oils. ... maybe risottos as well?

... but I'm biased, I do love a good table :biggrin:

What page is that on?

Pot smoking I don't mind, kids get the munchies hot wing sales go right through the roof but when those kids get on god knows what they eat like little birds.

What page is that on?

Pickles are on 3-348 and frying batters are on 3-333.

My copy has finally arrived... and it good condition! I plan to have a date with my MCAH tomorrow, since it's a public holiday here and the weatherman promises us a lot of rain...

I do not have MC and so I'm awestruck with the few pages I've read :-)

Hi everyone,

We hope that you are all enjoying Modernist Cuisine at Home and that if you had any difficulties with Amazon Canada or Amazon UK they've been taken care of.

We are going back to press already, and need to send our printer any corrections for the second printing. So far we haven't spotted many. If you have seen any, whether they are in text or in recipes, please send them to me at info@modernistcuisine.com this week. We appreciate the support this community has always given us in this regard.

Happy cooking!

Judy

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

I just received my copy of MoCuAHo from Powell's Books in Portland OR, which is one of my favourite book stores in the world. Price $98, shipping to Australia $13, very reasonable IMO (free US shipping, I believe). It did take over 2 weeks to arrive and there was no tracking but it was packed well and didn't suffer on the journey. Just letting you know about the option.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

perhaps this has been coverd: is there an index to MC@H online that one might DL? I have the one for MC and would appreciate one for MC@H

thanks

I just got email from MC: ebook is now available, 50% off for registered MC@H users until Jan 15th.

We’ve transformed the award-winning Modernist Cuisine at Home into an immersive, portable eBook for your tablet, smartphone, and laptop. To celebrate, we’re offering registered owners of the print version of Modernist Cuisine at Home the opportunity to purchase a copy of the eBook companion for 50% off the $79.99 list price. That’s nearly $40 in savings!

When you’re ready to purchase the eBook, simply log in to your account at ModernistCuisine.com and click the ‘get promotional code’ button located under the icon for each print version of Modernist Cuisine at Home you registered. (Not registered yet? Here are step-by-step instructions for registering your book.)

We will e-mail you a unique, one-time-use promotional code for your 50% discount on the Modernist Cuisine at Home eBook from Inkling.com. Save that e-mail—once we’ve sent you a code, you won’t be able to retrieve it again. Then visit www.inkling.com/modernistcuisine, add the eBook to your cart, and enter the code at checkout.

I used the 50% off promo code that was emailed to me and bought the recently released ebook edition for my ipad. There are a few new recipes and some of the tools available to make scaling your recipes make things a little easier on you when you need to upscale/downscale a recipe. Was well worth the $40 to be able to keep the book with me at all times conveniently.

http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/11/introducing-the-modernist-cuisine-at-home-ebook-edition/

Edited by Twyst (log)

i wonder if i register my book now if i'll get the email...i never registered mine

Yes, you will. I just registered mine today when I saw the promo was available. I had only registered the full set before and as soon as I registered the at home book I got the email.

Edited by Twyst (log)

I just got email from MC: ebook is now available, 50% off for registered MC@H users until Jan 15th.

We’ve transformed the award-winning Modernist Cuisine at Home into an immersive, portable eBook for your tablet, smartphone, and laptop. To celebrate, we’re offering registered owners of the print version of Modernist Cuisine at Home the opportunity to purchase a copy of the eBook companion for 50% off the $79.99 list price. That’s nearly $40 in savings!

When you’re ready to purchase the eBook, simply log in to your account at ModernistCuisine.com and click the ‘get promotional code’ button located under the icon for each print version of Modernist Cuisine at Home you registered. (Not registered yet? Here are step-by-step instructions for registering your book.)

We will e-mail you a unique, one-time-use promotional code for your 50% discount on the Modernist Cuisine at Home eBook from Inkling.com. Save that e-mail—once we’ve sent you a code, you won’t be able to retrieve it again. Then visit www.inkling.com/modernistcuisine, add the eBook to your cart, and enter the code at checkout.

I got that too and already checking out the free chapter on my PC. Have not forked over the $40 yet...but most likely I will based on what I've seen and on how convenient and flexible having the ebook companion version would be. In the FAQ section it seems like this version fleshes out a lot of the recipes, has more pictures, interactive materials and of course videos.

Question is, will I be able to use it on my Android device when Inkling releases their app or would I have to re-purchase? I am not clear on that but I believe I should be able to just use it on any device with an Inkling app.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I tried to register today to no avail. It kept kicking me out. Maybe it is the iPad. Might try later on the laptop.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I managed to download the ebook. The download using the discount code was not a particularly intuitive process.

The ebook itself is quite nice, and should be a good companion to the printed tome.

I didn't get the email, so thank you for posting this. I just downloaded the ebook and installed the Inkling app. I was surprised that the download process was not intuitive to navigate. Had it not been for the 50% discount, I would have bailed.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

I couldn't even get registered! Suspect it might be the iPad. May try again on the laptop.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The ebook is great! Hope they're working on a eMC version too.

I couldn't even get registered! Suspect it might be the iPad. May try again on the laptop.

I got errors yesterday because I couldn't remember my password. IIRC, the screen to retrieve my password only had a spot for my email address. Submitting that screen returned an error. I can't remember the message, it came up on a page all by itself. I can't remember what I finally did to fix that. Whatever it was, I finally got a screen to enter my email address and to type in some letters to prove that you're a real person. I believe the error before was because that box didn't show up. And, yes, I was working on an iPad. Then my mini-Mac. Then a Windows laptop. All had the same error.

Good luck. Maybe this was all on purpose so that you'll feel as though you earned that 50% off.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

I doubt its on purpose. but I recall in registering it struck me as a bit of a quirky site.

my browser remembers my password, thats what saves me.

BTW Ive yet to get an email. the code appeared on the page at MC, but its only been a few hours.

Edited by rotuts (log)

BTW before any one goes nuts, why not PM

Judy Wilson

she may no longer follow the thread, but she was responsive in the past.

she works or used to work at MC in the Relations Dept.

cant hurt.

• Similar Content

• By newchef
      So I've now found myself at the water's edge of Modernist Cuisine.  Specifically, using sodium citrate for emulsifying all kinds of cheeses.  What I'm after is making an emulsified Parmesan sauce as well as another emulsified cheese sauce (most likely using Cheddar or Colby) that I can freeze and use later.  I'm a single guy and am no stranger of tweaking recipes for freezing but I haven't done it for modernist stuff yet.  I'd love to make a big batch of cheese sauce, freeze it into ice cubes for up to 3 months or so, and then take a few cubes out to thaw on a weeknight and toss with pasta, drizzle over veggies, etc.

I looked at the modernist cuisine FAQ and saw this specific post about the cheese sauce that is "probably" freeze-able because it uses something called carageenan.  Has anyone been able to freeze sauce and keep it frozen for, say, a few months?  And not have to use carageenan?

Thanks!
    • By Burmese Days
      Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so please tell me if I've made any mistakes. I'd like to learn the ropes as soon as possible. 

I first learned of this cookbook from The Mala Market, easily the best online source of high-quality Chinese ingredients in the west. In the About Us page, Taylor Holiday (the founder of Mala Market) talks about the cookbooks that inspired her.
      This piqued my interest and sent me down a long rabbit hole. I'm attempting to categorically share everything I've found about this book so far.

Reading it online
      Early in my search, I found an online preview (Adobe Flash required). It shows you the first 29 pages. I've found people reference an online version you can pay for on the Chinese side of the internet. But to my skills, it's been unattainable.

The Title
      Because this book was never sold in the west, the cover, and thus title, were never translated to English. Because of this, when you search for this book, it'll have several different names. These are just some versions I've found online - typos included.
      Sichuan (China) Cuisine in Both Chinese and English Si Chuan(China) Cuisinein (In English & Chinese) China Sichuan Cuisine (in Chinese and English) Chengdu China: Si Chuan Ke Xue Ji Shu Chu Ban She Si Chuan(China) Cuisinein (Chinese and English bilingual) 中国川菜:中英文标准对照版 For the sake of convenience, I'll be referring to the cookbook as Sichuan Cuisine from now on.

Versions
      There are two versions of Sichuan Cuisine. The first came out in 2010 and the second in 2014. In an interview from Flavor & Fortune, a (now defunct) Chinese cooking
      magazine, the author clarifies the differences.
      That is all of the information I could find on the differences. Nothing besides that offhanded remark. The 2014 edition seems to be harder to source and, when available, more expensive.

Author(s)

In the last section, I mentioned an interview with the author. That was somewhat incorrect. There are two authors!
      Lu Yi (卢一) President of Sichuan Tourism College, Vice Chairman of Sichuan Nutrition Society, Chairman of Sichuan Food Fermentation Society, Chairman of Sichuan Leisure Sports Management Society Du Li (杜莉) Master of Arts, Professor of Sichuan Institute of Tourism, Director of Sichuan Cultural Development Research Center, Sichuan Humanities and Social Sciences Key Research Base, Sichuan Provincial Department of Education, and member of the International Food Culture Research Association of the World Chinese Culinary Federation Along with the principal authors, two famous chefs checked the English translations.
      Fuchsia Dunlop - of Land of Plenty fame Professor Shirley Cheng - of Hyde Park New York's Culinary Institute of America Fuchsia Dunlop was actually the first (and to my knowledge, only) Western graduate from the school that produced the book.

Recipes
      Here are screenshots of the table of contents.  It has some recipes I'm a big fan of.

ISBN
      ISBN 10: 7536469640   ISBN 13: 9787536469648 As far as I can tell, the first and second edition have the same ISBN #'s. I'm no librarian, so if anyone knows more about how ISBN #'s relate to re-releases and editions, feel free to chime in.

Publisher
      Sichuan Science and Technology Press 四川科学技术出版社  
      Cover
      Okay... so this book has a lot of covers.
      The common cover A red cover A white cover A white version of the common cover An ornate and shiny cover  There may or may not be a "Box set." At first, I thought this was a difference in book editions, but that doesn't seem to be the case. As far as covers go, I'm at a loss. If anybody has more info, I'm all ears.

Buying the book
      Alright, so I've hunted down many sites that used to sell it and a few who still have it in stock. Most of them are priced exorbitantly.

AbeBooks.com ($160 + $15 shipping) Ebay.com - used ($140 + $4 shipping) PurpleCulture.net ($50 + $22 shipping) Amazon.com ($300 + $5 shipping + $19 tax) A few other sites in Chinese  
      I bought a copy off of PurpleCuture.net on April 14th. When I purchased Sichuan Cuisine, it said there was only one copy left. That seems to be a lie to create false urgency for the buyer. My order never updated past processing, but after emailing them, I was given a tracking code. It has since landed in America and is in customs. I'll try to update this thread when (if) it is delivered.

Closing thoughts
      This book is probably not worth all the effort that I've put into finding it. But what is worth effort, is preserving knowledge. It turns my gut to think that this book will never be accessible to chefs that have a passion for learning real Sichuan food. As we get inundated with awful recipes from Simple and quick blogs, it becomes vital to keep these authentic sources available. As the internet chugs along, more and more recipes like these will be lost. 

You'd expect the internet to keep information alive, but in many ways, it does the opposite. In societies search for quick and easy recipes, a type of evolutionary pressure is forming. It's a pressure that mutates recipes to simpler and simpler versions of themselves. They warp and change under consumer pressure till they're a bastardized copy of the original that anyone can cook in 15 minutes. The worse part is that these new, worse recipes wear the same name as the original recipe. Before long, it becomes harder to find the original recipe than the new one. 

In this sense, the internet hides information. 

• By WackGet
      Recently I picked up a few different types of emulsifiers in bulk powder form when I saw them in passing at a catering wholesaler.

Having never used powdered emulsifiers before in cooking or baking, I figured I'd find pretty comprehensive instructions for their use on the web - but I can't.

I'm not a stranger to food science but nor am I a chemist. I understand that emulsifiers are at least sometimes prepared by pre-mixing them into a (heated?) liquid or fat and then using the resulting solution in the actual recipe, which may explain why a lot of commercial emulsifier mixtures are packages as tubes of gel or paste. I've also checked several industry-level textbooks about emulsifiers and while they are fantastic for in-depth explanations of the chemistry behind each emulsifier, they do not (as you might imagine) provide guidance on how a lowly baker or cook would actually use a powdered form.

So does anyone know how to prepare and use a dry powdered form of any of the following in a real recipe?

Specifically I am most interested in enhancing baked goods and adding stability to sauces, but would also like to know how to use them for other processes such as sausage-making too.
      E471 Mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids E481 Sodium stearoyl lactylate E482 Calcium stearoyl lactylate E472e DATEM (diacetyl tartaric acid ester of mono- and diglycerides)
        Thanks.
    • By mjbarnard
      I cooked two turkey breasts sous vide. This year had access to the Meater+ thermometer probe which I managed to vacuum seal in the bag without difficulty (it is small). Since it works wirelessly I was able to monitor and it records the internal temperatures at the thickest part of the breast.
      I thought the results were interesting. I cooked at 60C for 8 hours. I have always used https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-better-way-to-turkey-cook-that-bird-sous-vide-for-the-best-feast-ever which gives long cooking times at lower temperature. I have found that as according to this page https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sous-vide-turkey-breast-crispy-skin-recipe-thanksgiving.html that 55C gives turkey which is just a little too pink for most tastes. Over the last few years have increased the temperature up to 59/60 and I find it perfect - very moist and tender, but pale not pink.
      See attached images. I changed my mind a couple of times and started at 58 then 60 then 59 again, so ignore the slight variations. The thing I found interesting was that the thickest part (of a large breast) reached 55C in around 1 hour 40 mins and target of 59 in 2 hours 30 mins. Now I appreciate that sous vide is a combination of temperature and time or duration, but the data make me think that around 4 hours would be sufficient, as per the seriouseats table. I have previously used the chefsteps 55-58 for their much longer advised times, up to 12 hours and the meat is still quite pink at the end, so I dont believe 55 for 12 hours would effectively be the same.
      From now on I will watching the internal temperatures with interest. This has always been the (relative) unkown for sous vide amateurs. 

• By TexasMBA02
      After batting about .500 with my previous approach to macarons, I came across Pierre Herme's base recipe online.  After two flawless batches of macarons, I've been re-energized to continue to work at mastering them.  Specifically, I want to try more of his recipes.  My conundrum is that he has, as far as I can tell, two macaron cookbooks and I don't know which one I should get.  I can't tell if one is just an updated version of the other or a reissue or what the differences really are.  I was hoping somebody had some insight.  I have searched online and haven't seen both books referenced in the same context or contrasted at all.

This one appears to be older.

And this one appears to be the newer of the two.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,