• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Hennes

"Modernist Cuisine at Home" by Myhrvold and Bilet

BTW before any one goes nuts, why not PM

Judy Wilson

she may no longer follow the thread, but she was responsive in the past.

she works or used to work at MC in the Relations Dept.

cant hurt.

I got my discount code 1 minutes after scanning the QR code and logging in, and my safari browser giving me an error...

if you've registered and not gotten your code, i would email or contact someone

I got my discount code 1 minutes after scanning the QR code and logging in, and my safari browser giving me an error...

if you've registered and not gotten your code, i would email or contact someone

Made contact. Contact acknowledged. Response promised. Still waiting..... 24 hours later. Web site seems very error-prone. Surprising for a team that seems on the cutting edge of everything.

I agree on the web site.

lets be clear: this is Microsoft Money.

:blink:

well spent, after the fact, but Microsoft.

what they cut now is Food. and Pots ....

Edited by rotuts (log)

Anyone know a source where I can buy just the Kitchen Manual separate? Mine got quite burned on the top of the stove!

I can't find a link to register on the site, is it in the book? I registered my MC set long time ago, but the site looked different then I believe

For those trying to register, look inside the back cover. AFAIK, scanning that QR code is the only way to do it. FYI, here's a prior thread on the subject. Discussion of registering @Home starts at Post #25.

I went to log in and was unable to do so. On clicking on the forgotten password link, it said to check my email. An email never came. I contacted them directly using the email from the web site and have to praise them on a really prompt response.

The app is good. For those of you who have seen the CIA professional chef book app, it is done in the same manner.

If I buy from inkling am I then able to install it on my iPad or do I have to buy it again from the app store?

If I buy from inkling am I then able to install it on my iPad or do I have to buy it again from the app store?

Inkling on the iPad allows you to download any title that you own so, no you only have to buy it once from Inkling.

• Like 1

Anyone know a source where I can buy just the Kitchen Manual separate? Mine got quite burned on the top of the stove!

Not sure you can buy it separately. I bought one last year on ebay for my 2nd location. Now that the digital version is out I will probably use that more. I hope the digital version of MC is not too far behind.

Granted I haven't read through all 10 pages of this thread, but what are the main differences between this and the full version, and as an amateur cook (albeit with long-term professional aspirations), will this version suffice?

As of now the only "modernist" stuff I do is sous vide/low temp cooking, some nitrous infusions, and I did just start using hydrocolloids for my bar syrups...

Granted I haven't read through all 10 pages of this thread, but what are the main differences between this and the full version, and as an amateur cook (albeit with long-term professional aspirations), will this version suffice?

As of now the only "modernist" stuff I do is sous vide/low temp cooking, some nitrous infusions, and I did just start using hydrocolloids for my bar syrups...

MC@H is a Modernist cookbook with helpful information on ingredients, equipment, and techniques to give the reader a basic understanding of the science behind the recipes.

MC is a five volume college-level textbook covering, as titled, the art and science of cooking, covering advanced food chemistry, the physics of heat and its implementation in various types of cooking equipment, and the history of the modernist cuisine movement. It also happens to have a few hundred recipes as examples. 

Yeah. Modernist Cuisine at Home is definitely not a Cole's notes of Modernist Cuisine.

• Similar Content

• By Cookwhoplaysdrums
      Can anyone suggest me some good books related to Gastronomy, food history, culture, recipes based on different cultures. 
      Also recommend the best food magazine subscriptions. 
    • By artiesel
      THE BOOKS ARE SOLD

I have Volumes 1 ,2 and 4 of Jean-Pierre Wybauw's Great Chocolate books are for sale.

The books are in great shape!  There is some tape on the corner of the front of volume 1 that I used to keep it together after a drop.  Volume 1 is also autographed by the author (See pics below).

I'm asking $150 for the lot OBO.

Let me know if interested or if you have questions

• By umami5
      Has anyone come across a digital version of Practical Professional Cookery (revised 3rd edition) H.L. Cracknell & R.J. Kaufmann.
      I am using this as the textbook for my culinary arts students and a digital version would come in very handy for creating notes and handouts.
    • By lindaj1
      Is there any recipe from the modernist universe or any other galaxy to make ketogenic (low carb) puff pastry and strudel type doughs?  Unusual ingredients OK.  There must be a way...
    • By Mullinix18
      I dont believe that any English translation of Carêmes works exist. An incomplete version was published in 1842 (I think) but even the that version seems lackluster for the few recipes it does cover. I think it's time the world looks to its past, but I don't speak great French and it's a huge task to undertake. I hopefully plan on publishing this work and anyone who helps me will get a very fair cut, and if we decide not to publish it, I'll put it out on the internet for free. I'm working in Google docs so we can collaborate. I'm first cataloging the index to cross reference the pre-existing incomplete English version to give us a reference of what yet needs to be done, and from there we will go down the list of recipies and Translate them one by one. Simple google translate goes only so far, as it is 1700s French culinary terms and phrases being used. I'd like to preserve as much of Carêmes beautiful and flowery language as possible. Who's with me?