• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine at Home" by Myhrvold and Bilet

I got my discount code 1 minutes after scanning the QR code and logging in, and my safari browser giving me an error...

if you've registered and not gotten your code, i would email or contact someone

Made contact. Contact acknowledged. Response promised. Still waiting..... 24 hours later. Web site seems very error-prone. Surprising for a team that seems on the cutting edge of everything.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I went to log in and was unable to do so. On clicking on the forgotten password link, it said to check my email. An email never came. I contacted them directly using the email from the web site and have to praise them on a really prompt response.

The app is good. For those of you who have seen the CIA professional chef book app, it is done in the same manner.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

If I buy from inkling am I then able to install it on my iPad or do I have to buy it again from the app store?

Inkling on the iPad allows you to download any title that you own so, no you only have to buy it once from Inkling.

• Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know a source where I can buy just the Kitchen Manual separate? Mine got quite burned on the top of the stove!

Not sure you can buy it separately. I bought one last year on ebay for my 2nd location. Now that the digital version is out I will probably use that more. I hope the digital version of MC is not too far behind.

• 1 year later...

Granted I haven't read through all 10 pages of this thread, but what are the main differences between this and the full version, and as an amateur cook (albeit with long-term professional aspirations), will this version suffice?

As of now the only "modernist" stuff I do is sous vide/low temp cooking, some nitrous infusions, and I did just start using hydrocolloids for my bar syrups...

Granted I haven't read through all 10 pages of this thread, but what are the main differences between this and the full version, and as an amateur cook (albeit with long-term professional aspirations), will this version suffice?

As of now the only "modernist" stuff I do is sous vide/low temp cooking, some nitrous infusions, and I did just start using hydrocolloids for my bar syrups...

MC@H is a Modernist cookbook with helpful information on ingredients, equipment, and techniques to give the reader a basic understanding of the science behind the recipes.

MC is a five volume college-level textbook covering, as titled, the art and science of cooking, covering advanced food chemistry, the physics of heat and its implementation in various types of cooking equipment, and the history of the modernist cuisine movement. It also happens to have a few hundred recipes as examples. 

Yeah. Modernist Cuisine at Home is definitely not a Cole's notes of Modernist Cuisine.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog