• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine at Home" by Myhrvold and Bilet

Got mine today.

It arrived in Australia with an outside Amazon box which was so bent out of shape that it wasn't sealed any longer.

Thinking the worst, I opened it to find everything in perfect condition :smile:

got my bookplate yest. great fun. and BTW perfectly packed from the Source!

Could you post a picture of the bookplate?

Pot smoking I don't mind, kids get the munchies hot wing sales go right through the roof but when those kids get on god knows what they eat like little birds.

Another "nice to have" would have been more "Best Bets" tables. I find them one of most useful items in the original volumes, and simpler tables could have been included here.

The things I found most useful out of MC were the tables for things like frying batters and pickles etc. where you would move down the table for the different types of batter/pickle and then across the table for the ingredients for a particular batter/pickle. I use these tables alot!

This would have worked really well for things like the different pestos as well as the infused fats and oils. ... maybe risottos as well?

... but I'm biased, I do love a good table :biggrin:

What page is that on?

Pot smoking I don't mind, kids get the munchies hot wing sales go right through the roof but when those kids get on god knows what they eat like little birds.

Hi everyone,

We hope that you are all enjoying Modernist Cuisine at Home and that if you had any difficulties with Amazon Canada or Amazon UK they've been taken care of.

We are going back to press already, and need to send our printer any corrections for the second printing. So far we haven't spotted many. If you have seen any, whether they are in text or in recipes, please send them to me at info@modernistcuisine.com this week. We appreciate the support this community has always given us in this regard.

Happy cooking!

Judy

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

• 3 weeks later...

I just received my copy of MoCuAHo from Powell's Books in Portland OR, which is one of my favourite book stores in the world. Price $98, shipping to Australia $13, very reasonable IMO (free US shipping, I believe). It did take over 2 weeks to arrive and there was no tracking but it was packed well and didn't suffer on the journey. Just letting you know about the option.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 11 months later...

I just got email from MC: ebook is now available, 50% off for registered MC@H users until Jan 15th.

We’ve transformed the award-winning Modernist Cuisine at Home into an immersive, portable eBook for your tablet, smartphone, and laptop. To celebrate, we’re offering registered owners of the print version of Modernist Cuisine at Home the opportunity to purchase a copy of the eBook companion for 50% off the $79.99 list price. That’s nearly $40 in savings!

When you’re ready to purchase the eBook, simply log in to your account at ModernistCuisine.com and click the ‘get promotional code’ button located under the icon for each print version of Modernist Cuisine at Home you registered. (Not registered yet? Here are step-by-step instructions for registering your book.)

We will e-mail you a unique, one-time-use promotional code for your 50% discount on the Modernist Cuisine at Home eBook from Inkling.com. Save that e-mail—once we’ve sent you a code, you won’t be able to retrieve it again. Then visit www.inkling.com/modernistcuisine, add the eBook to your cart, and enter the code at checkout.

I used the 50% off promo code that was emailed to me and bought the recently released ebook edition for my ipad. There are a few new recipes and some of the tools available to make scaling your recipes make things a little easier on you when you need to upscale/downscale a recipe. Was well worth the $40 to be able to keep the book with me at all times conveniently.

http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/11/introducing-the-modernist-cuisine-at-home-ebook-edition/

Edited by Twyst (log)

i wonder if i register my book now if i'll get the email...i never registered mine

Yes, you will. I just registered mine today when I saw the promo was available. I had only registered the full set before and as soon as I registered the at home book I got the email.

Edited by Twyst (log)

I just got email from MC: ebook is now available, 50% off for registered MC@H users until Jan 15th.

We’ve transformed the award-winning Modernist Cuisine at Home into an immersive, portable eBook for your tablet, smartphone, and laptop. To celebrate, we’re offering registered owners of the print version of Modernist Cuisine at Home the opportunity to purchase a copy of the eBook companion for 50% off the $79.99 list price. That’s nearly $40 in savings!

When you’re ready to purchase the eBook, simply log in to your account at ModernistCuisine.com and click the ‘get promotional code’ button located under the icon for each print version of Modernist Cuisine at Home you registered. (Not registered yet? Here are step-by-step instructions for registering your book.)

We will e-mail you a unique, one-time-use promotional code for your 50% discount on the Modernist Cuisine at Home eBook from Inkling.com. Save that e-mail—once we’ve sent you a code, you won’t be able to retrieve it again. Then visit www.inkling.com/modernistcuisine, add the eBook to your cart, and enter the code at checkout.

I got that too and already checking out the free chapter on my PC. Have not forked over the $40 yet...but most likely I will based on what I've seen and on how convenient and flexible having the ebook companion version would be. In the FAQ section it seems like this version fleshes out a lot of the recipes, has more pictures, interactive materials and of course videos.

Question is, will I be able to use it on my Android device when Inkling releases their app or would I have to re-purchase? I am not clear on that but I believe I should be able to just use it on any device with an Inkling app.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I tried to register today to no avail. It kept kicking me out. Maybe it is the iPad. Might try later on the laptop.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I managed to download the ebook. The download using the discount code was not a particularly intuitive process.

The ebook itself is quite nice, and should be a good companion to the printed tome.

I didn't get the email, so thank you for posting this. I just downloaded the ebook and installed the Inkling app. I was surprised that the download process was not intuitive to navigate. Had it not been for the 50% discount, I would have bailed.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

I couldn't even get registered! Suspect it might be the iPad. May try again on the laptop.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I couldn't even get registered! Suspect it might be the iPad. May try again on the laptop.

I got errors yesterday because I couldn't remember my password. IIRC, the screen to retrieve my password only had a spot for my email address. Submitting that screen returned an error. I can't remember the message, it came up on a page all by itself. I can't remember what I finally did to fix that. Whatever it was, I finally got a screen to enter my email address and to type in some letters to prove that you're a real person. I believe the error before was because that box didn't show up. And, yes, I was working on an iPad. Then my mini-Mac. Then a Windows laptop. All had the same error.

Good luck. Maybe this was all on purpose so that you'll feel as though you earned that 50% off.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

I doubt its on purpose. but I recall in registering it struck me as a bit of a quirky site.

my browser remembers my password, thats what saves me.

BTW Ive yet to get an email. the code appeared on the page at MC, but its only been a few hours.

Edited by rotuts (log)