• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine at Home" by Myhrvold and Bilet

Mine were in the box from picture number two of the unwrapping - inside another box. I confess to a slight screw up in ordering - and I ended up with 3!

Kerry, it came in the MC@H "sleeve" that the books fit into but there was no other wrapping i.e. no Amazon box to protect the whole thing. Just the shrink wrap whereas it sounds like yours was shipped in a proper Amazon box.

@ElsieD, I'm very sorry to hear that. We're investigating as to why your book was shipped without any protective packaging. We'll reply on this thread when we have answers from Amazon, but we'll fight to ensure that you receive a new, undamaged copy.

SCOTT HEIMENDINGER
Co-Founder, CMO

Sansaire

Not just a standard Amazon.com box: actually a branded MCaH box inside a standard amazon box: see the photos here.

Nope, nothing like that. Just the white sleeve with shrink wrap. I have just had a closer look at it and the 2 books are in pristine condition but the sleeve has some damage on the corners.

Kerry, it came in the MC@H "sleeve" that the books fit into but there was no other wrapping i.e. no Amazon box to protect the whole thing. Just the shrink wrap whereas it sounds like yours was shipped in a proper Amazon box.

@ElsieD, I'm very sorry to hear that. We're investigating as to why your book was shipped without any protective packaging. We'll reply on this thread when we have answers from Amazon, but we'll fight to ensure that you receive a new, undamaged copy.

Mine too (pictures several posts ago). What's up with Amazon?

EDIT: Well, I don't suppose it matters as Amazon.ca is going to send a replacement. I just hope they don't repeat their mistake.

Edited by HowardLi (log)

Got my copy today, but Amazon.ca sent the book-pack to me without a box. They just slapped a UPS sticker onto the shrink wrap and sent it on through. Christ. Now I have to return it and I have to look for a box to ship it back in, to boot!

Great. Now I'm concerned I might have the same issue and I'd have to go through the hassle of returning it...How stupid can they be for sending it like that!

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I noticed that on the Amazon Canada MCAH product page there is the following notice:

Ships in Original Packaging:

This item ships separately and in the original manufacturer's packaging. There will be shipping labels attached to the outside of the package. You may mark this item as a gift if you do not wish to reveal the contents.

But there is nothing of the sort on the Amazon US product page. It seems this, for some reason, is Amazon Canada's way of shipping it.

Yar. but does not the original package from pics we have seen have an outer cardboard box (from MC ) with the inner books wrapped in clear wrap?

Right. I missed that the "manufacturer's packaging" should include an MC cardboard box which contains the shrink-wrapped books/sleeve. Good point.

Yar. but does not the original package from pics we have seen have an outer cardboard box (from MC ) with the inner books wrapped in clear wrap?

Right. I missed that the "manufacturer's packaging" should include an MC cardboard box which contains the shrink-wrapped books/sleeve. Good point.

I suppose we should always check the "gift" box when ordering from Amazon.CA!

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

You know, I appreciate the thought of getting a new copy but I'd be happy with just a new sleeve.

I have just receive it from amazon.co.uk and, like others, there is no outer cardobard box, only clear wrap :-(

Mine is not in perfect state, a corner is sligthly damaged, but not enough for me to spend time & resources to ask for a change...

Edited by EnriqueB (log)

somebody dropped the pelota big time for such a carefully planned and expensive book to be 'ruined' by minimum wage!

mine cleared customs. hoping for the best. that I had nightmares last night about my copy would be an exaggeration. of sorts.

:shock:

Edited by rotuts (log)

I received mine just two days ago... in the plastic wrap and nothing else. A corner got mashed in on the sleeve and on the book as well. I sent some "packaging feedback" to Amazon Canada with a picture of the damage but no reply yet. Does anyone have any advice on how to get this handled by Amazon Canada? How did those of you who are getting replacement copies get that done?

splice42, My experience is with Amazon US, but I think their policies are the same. Instead of contacting them via packaging feedback, contact them in the Your Orders section within My Account. There's an option for Returns and Replacements, and it'll guide you through the process. I've actually only had stellar customer service from Amazon when it comes to books arriving damaged, and depending on the damage, you can usually request either a discount or have them send you a new copy.

Having said that, if everyone here who ordered through Amazon and received a copy in only shrink wrap leaves feedback in the packaging feedback area and notes their problems, it might help them flag the issue faster and start shipping it correctly.

I received mine just two days ago... in the plastic wrap and nothing else. A corner got mashed in on the sleeve and on the book as well. I sent some "packaging feedback" to Amazon Canada with a picture of the damage but no reply yet. Does anyone have any advice on how to get this handled by Amazon Canada? How did those of you who are getting replacement copies get that done?

Was it sent DHL or UPS?

Mine is DHL and just cleared customs. I'm hoping it's in an actual DHL box.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I'll be willing to bet it all comes down to cost - probably cheaper to ship without the box so they save a few shekels per book. It's all about the margins.