• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine at Home" by Myhrvold and Bilet

you can order this from Amazon.CA from the USA. your order looks like this art check-out:

Am.CA.jpg

thats the USA $$ from the Canadian price of CAN 86

still the 11 USA shipping is a little steep

but 101.51 is a lot less that $ 140 Ill say

:laugh:

so .... its up to you!

you can order this from Amazon.CA from the USA. your order looks like this art check-out:

Am.CA.jpg

thats the USA $$ from the Canadian price of CAN 86

still the 11 USA shipping is a little steep

but 101.51 is a lot less that $ 140 Ill say

:laugh:

so .... its up to you!

Wow! Thanks for the tip. I just ordered from Amazon.Ca and my total is like $97 USD including shipping! Sure, I might have too wait an extra week, but that's not an issue. I cancelled my Amazon.com (US) order

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Wow! how did you get it for 4 bucks less :huh:

thats a bottle of TJ's table wine ( not the two buck yuk the good stuff from Chile)

:blink:

Ha ha..well we might end up paying the same when it ships. I did not use the Amazon CA currency converter. I took the CAD total of $96.10 and plugged in my phone's app for converting currency and based on today's rate it's about $97 or so.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

As an adunct to the book (mine is to arrive Monday, Oct. 1) did you see this new website from Chef Steps?

I did, and I'm quite excited about this. I mean I love my cookbooks (gotta collect em all right!) but it seems like an exciting new way to learn and improve my home cooking.

Just received mine. 2 volumes; cookbook and kitchen manual in a case. Can't wait to be able to check it out further! There is an owner registration in the back of the book but the registration doesn't start until 10-08.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

I just had a look at the Cooks Forum over at the Modernist Cuisine website, and it looks like only 79 recipes have been commented on. Out of the 1500+ in the books, this is not many at all suggesting that most of the recipes in the books are not attempted, even by those keen enough to sign up for the website (which demonstrates a certain level of enthusiasm in itself...)

The recipe with the most comments by far is the caramelised carrot soup- this recipe is simple, carrots are cheap, the only piece of equipment needed is a pressure cooker, and it tastes delicious. The comments on the forum about the soup are overwhelmingly positive.

If there are more recipes in MC@home that are as accessible as that one, and that tick the same simple, cheap & tasty boxes, then the book is sure to be a hit.

I've cooked plenty of recipes from the books. I just think nobody bothers to use the official forums, they're all here on eGullet. Check out the "Cooking with Modernist Cuisine" topic.

I should be getting my copy on the 4th...the day before I leave on a trip to Vegas... :rolleyes: I'm thinking bringing a book instead of clothing for the trip wouldn't be the best idea, but I'm sure tempted!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Wow! price at Am.CA has gone up to 110 Canadian from 86. they still said they would honor the 86 I ordered it at.

place any bets on that?

They will if that's the price you ordered it at.

Yesterday the LA times published a mixed review of Modernist Cuisine at Home written by Russ Parsons (here).

[...] I was dogged by the wish that Myhrvold had turned his vast knowledge to helping real home cooks rather than teaching hobbyists how to mimic avant-garde restaurant chefs [...] The first bump I ran into is probably one that will be shared by a lot of home cooks: Almost all of the recipes required either equipment or ingredients that I don't have [...] The bigger issue, though, was finding something in the book that I wanted to cook. There were several recipes that looked good, but on closer examination, most of them seemed to revolve around some modernist complication that would improve the dish only incrementally, if at all.

A cookbook about Modernist Cuisine includes "Modernist complications"?! Shocking! And you need a sous vide rig and a pressure cooker, and in some cases even some crazy ingredients like... Wondra. OK, so I haven't read the whole review, maybe it's not that bad, but from the excerpt it does seem a bit absurd.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Review are written for their 'market' ie readers that get the newspaper.

Im very much looking forward to my Vol. and Id guess that this book will appeal to those who SV, PC, etc but dont have a lot of the stuff needed for MC. those who love MC and have a lot of that equipment and those mg. of odd stuff might be disappointed,

now that I have a killer coffee roaster ( thanks aapl! ) Im thinking a siphon is next for me!

Im very much looking forward to my Vol. and Id guess that this book will appeal to those who SV, PC, etc but dont have a lot of the stuff needed for MC. those who love MC and have a lot of that equipment and those mg. of odd stuff might be disappointed,

I don't think those people will be disappointed: this then turns into just another volume of recipes that uses some (but not all) of their stuff. I think the people who will be most disappointed are those who were hoping that this would be "MC Junior" and wanted it to basically be a low-cost replacement for the original set, which it is not. This is a book of recipes targeted at the home cook who is interested in culinary Modernism, and who owns those two piece of equipment (sous vide setup and pressure cooker). It is a great supplement to MC, but in no way a replacement for it. You don't need to own MC to use this book, and can make every single recipe in it without referencing MC for anything. But you need MC if you want to learn the science.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

" It is a great supplement to MC, but in no way a replacement for it. You don't need to own MC to use this book, and can make every single recipe in it without referencing MC for anything. But you need MC if you want to learn the science. "

well thats what I think too, not having the book yet from CA.

although, Im hot on the track of a ThermoWhip there seem to be many at Amazon.USA

My impression is, and long has been, that Modernist cuisine (whether the big books, the At Home book, or even related restaurant cookbooks) is the Linux of the cookbook world: it's cooking for people who make cooking a hobby, and want to muck around in the internals. It's fun to do, and it gives you a lot more control over every part of the process and outcome. What it doesn't do is "simply meet my day to day needs."

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara