• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Proposed New Sous Vide Device for Home Use

MSRadell

Here's an interesting KickStart proposal for the development of a new Sous Vide device. It looks very interesting and the target price of $299 puts it in a competitive position. Here's the proposal: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/nomiku-bring-sous-vide-into-your-kitchen.

What's everyone's opinion on the device?

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

• 1 month later...

I'm aware that this device has a circulator built in. And I do like the fact that it's a small portable device, which makes it so much more practical to store away when you're not using it.

But seriously? Somehow every time the words "sous vide" are mentioned, there's this magic aura around a device that somehow warrants an at least five-fold price inflation. It's just automatic temperature control for Bob's sake. The same kind of stuff that's going on with deep fryers and slow cookers. Yes, I realize that most of those are just using a bent strip of metal for a thermostat. So by all means, feel free to charge me an extra tenner or two for the digital instead of analogue. And yes, I know I sound cheap now. But come on, the actual technology needed for this has been done and dusted for decades. There's no reason why a temperature controller, even one with a circulator, should be this expensive.

Rant over.

I'm aware that this device has a circulator built in. And I do like the fact that it's a small portable device, which makes it so much more practical to store away when you're not using it.

But seriously? Somehow every time the words "sous vide" are mentioned, there's this magic aura around a device that somehow warrants an at least five-fold price inflation. It's just automatic temperature control for Bob's sake. The same kind of stuff that's going on with deep fryers and slow cookers. Yes, I realize that most of those are just using a bent strip of metal for a thermostat. So by all means, feel free to charge me an extra tenner or two for the digital instead of analogue. And yes, I know I sound cheap now. But come on, the actual technology needed for this has been done and dusted for decades. There's no reason why a temperature controller, even one with a circulator, should be this expensive.

Rant over.

There's a little thing called economies of scale that leads to the other items you mentioned being cheaper. I'm sure that the cost will decrease as uptake (leading to higher production and competition) increases.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Rant over.

These complaints and others have been brought up numerous times. You are wrong. It is NOT like a deep fryer thermometer. This uses a PID controller, seems well designed and is compact. DIY Sous Vide equipment are possible (just Google it) and they will cost you a bit more than a deep fryer.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Hi Mr. Nassar (haven't I seen you about on the Big Fat Undertaking blog? Good to see you here!) Yes, as mentioned, I'm aware that a deep fryer thermostat is simply a piece of bimetal which will deform as temperatures go up and down... unlike the digital stuff which actually needs to measure the temperature.

For what it's worth, I own a Hometek HT335 slow cooker with digital temperature control. Now this isn't some contraption with a flimsy bimetal thermostat - it's got a proper temperature sensor that actually measures the temperature of the contents of the pot. There's no fundamental difference between this device and a (non-circulated) sous-vide waterbath. You probably guessed that I do long sous-vide with it more often than "traditional" slow cooked dishes. Price this device cost me? Under 20 pounds, brand spanking new. Yes, once again, feel free to call me cheap.

On the downside, this Hometek device is a bit smallish, so I won't be cooking up protein for any big dinner parties in it. In that sense, the PID + rice cooker solution at around 100 pounds (+25 for the rice cooker) that some people such as Auldo use seems a realistic alternative, albeit not as elegant as a fully integrated system. As things are, at the moment, if you want elegant, you pay 250 pounds+.

There simply isn't anything available in the 75'ish pound price range. Or is there? The 27 litre SilverCrest Jam maker seems to fit the bill nicely...

Hi Mr. Nassar (haven't I seen you about on the Big Fat Undertaking blog? Good to see you here!) Yes, as mentioned, I'm aware that a deep fryer thermostat is simply a piece of bimetal which will deform as temperatures go up and down... unlike the digital stuff which actually needs to measure the temperature.

For what it's worth, I own a Hometek HT335 slow cooker with digital temperature control. Now this isn't some contraption with a flimsy bimetal thermostat - it's got a proper temperature sensor that actually measures the temperature of the contents of the pot. There's no fundamental difference between this device and a (non-circulated) sous-vide waterbath. You probably guessed that I do long sous-vide with it more often than "traditional" slow cooked dishes. Price this device cost me? Under 20 pounds, brand spanking new. Yes, once again, feel free to call me cheap.

On the downside, this Hometek device is a bit smallish, so I won't be cooking up protein for any big dinner parties in it. In that sense, the PID + rice cooker solution at around 100 pounds (+25 for the rice cooker) that some people such as Auldo use seems a realistic alternative, albeit not as elegant as a fully integrated system. As things are, at the moment, if you want elegant, you pay 250 pounds+.

There simply isn't anything available in the 75'ish pound price range. Or is there? The 27 litre SilverCrest Jam maker seems to fit the bill nicely...

Yes you are correct sir. I enjoyed auldo's blog very much!

Apples and oranges though when it comes to comparing your setup with this product. You need no contraption at all then if you are willing to wait by a pot with a thermometer in hand while the steak cooks for an hour. My point is that to create a product like that AND you are not a huge corporation like Cuisinart, the price tag seems very reasonable since a rice cooker and PID is close to 125 pounds (around $180. Right?) as you say. So, no, I do not think we are just paying extra because the lable "sous vide" is tacked on it.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Seems that Polyscience has a game changer for beginning sous vide kitchens. They are offering the Creative at $499 coming out this August. At the price, it probably will find its way into many home and professional kitchens.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Apples and oranges though when it comes to comparing your setup with this product. You need no contraption at all then if you are willing to wait by a pot with a thermometer in hand while the steak cooks for an hour.

I don't mind (much) if it's just for an hour, but the problem is when it's 24 or more. Got to fit in some sleep somewhere! For now my trusty temperature-controlled slow-cooker will do the trick for those occasions. I suppose I'll upgrade, one day. Hopefully SV rig prices and I will be in agreement by then.

Point taken about the kickstarter device being small scale and thus harder to market at low prices.

Edited by kleinebre (log)

Apples and oranges though when it comes to comparing your setup with this product. You need no contraption at all then if you are willing to wait by a pot with a thermometer in hand while the steak cooks for an hour.

----------------Point taken about the kickstarter device being small scale and thus harder to market at low prices.

In addition, a commercial product will need to have liability insurance, advertising cost, middleman cost --------------------.

dcarch

Point taken about the kickstarter device being small scale and thus harder to market at low prices.

In addition, a commercial product will need to have liability insurance, advertising cost, middleman cost --------------------.

dcarch

That's the same regardless whether it's marketed as "sous vide" device or not - it applies just as well for that under 20-pounds slow cooker with digital temperature control I've got.