• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Chicken/Turkey Salad Season!

gfweb

Here's my favorite recipe.

Applewood smoked turkey breast cooked sous vide and fine diced

Just enough mayo (Hellman's)

Red seedless grapes fine sliced (enough so that every forkful has some grape)

liberal dusting of chipotle powder

Salt and pepper.

Let sit in fridge for an hour or two

Top with chopped candied/spiced pecans.

Top that!

Just recently I've been craving a curried chicken salad that I haven't made in ages.

I like the chicken torn into random sized pieces rather than diced.

Chopped green apple

Halved red grapes

A bit of mango chutney

A little diced red onion (or shallot) or not

Mayo mixed with some freshly toasted curry spices

I think that's right but I haven't made it in so long, I'll have to give it a go and taste and see if anything's missing...celery.....walnuts?

As I did two nights ago, when I grill chicken and vegetables (red onion, red bell pepper, summer squash, mushrooms) I usually make double in order to have a chopped-up salad the next few days. Made a rub this time with hot smoked paprika, black pepper, anise seed, thyme, garlic powder, and salt that was particularly tasty with some olive oil and lemon.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I still love old-fashioned chicken salad with mayo, celery, a bit of green onion, served in a tomato shell. Must have glass of home made iced tea in a tall glass with lotsa ice cubes to go with.

This always reminds me of going to department store tea shops in the summer with my grandmother and feeling like a proper lady Sigh.

• Like 1

It seems most people think of this as something to do with the breast. What are you guys using? I still have cravings for a tarragon heavy chicken salad Trader Joe's had years ago that used dark meat shreds, slivers of artichoke hearts and angel hair pasta. At room temp it was heavenly. I never tried to recreate it but just planted a healthy French tarragon so I may have to give it a go.

Speaking of Trader Joe's, their "Wine Country" chicken salad is spectacular. Simply spectacular. I love it on a croissant....

It's chicken, I think only white meat, but I could be wrong, celery, pecans, and dried cranberries, with a dressing of mayo, apple cider vinegar, a bit of honey, poppy seeds and S&P. It's the cranberries that make the salad. The tart/sweet tang just work with everything else. The salad is magic.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Thanks for posting this, gfweb! I need to poach some chicken breasts now.

I like chicken salad with celery, pecans, dried cranberries and a whisper of mayonnaise and dijon. Tarragon? It gets overpowering to me.

Edited by annabelle (log)

I recall turkey, cranberries, nuts (pecans? walnuts?) a touch of mayo (perhaps a few other related items) l is a fairly old recipe, but I cant remember the name. sort of Fanny Farmer stuff.

Funny, I am eating chicken salad as I read this: all grilled (chicken, red pepper, onion, garlic), no dressing except the little bit of evoo everything was brushed with for the grill, s and p. But my favorite chicken salad is the old fashioned kind, here. And btw: refrigerate? NEVER!

No refrigeration? I guess if you are going to eat it all up at once...

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping - because after an hour or two, I'd be started to get worried about food safety.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Funny, I am eating chicken salad as I read this: all grilled (chicken, red pepper, onion, garlic), no dressing except the little bit of evoo everything was brushed with for the grill, s and p. But my favorite chicken salad is the old fashioned kind, here. And btw: refrigerate? NEVER!

No refrigeration? I guess if you are going to eat it all up at once...

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping - because after an hour or two, I'd be started to get worried about food safety.

I will refrigerate leftovers if there are any, then remove two hours ahead to co me to room temp (though never the same). It is fine to sit out the counter for hours--although best up to about four hours. We are not talking about it sitting outside in the noonday sun.

• 3 weeks later...

Lazy Woman's method:

1. buy a rotissere chicken from Publix, lemon pepper flavour preferred.

2. at home, remove legs and eat for dinner with preferred sides. Refrigerate remaining carcass overnight, with

all remaining juices in a shallow covered container.

3. next day, peel off skin for a cook's treat and pull meat off bones. Hand shread meat into a largeish bowl,

including all bits left on frame. Scrape most of fat from congeled juices and set aside. Scoop chicken "jello"

into bowl with meat. Add chopped celery and minced onion to taste (I'm an onion lover, so I use quite a lot),

mayo to moisten somewhat, (remembering that the "jello" will melt and further moisten dressing) toasted, broken

nuts of choice,

quartered seedless grapes (I like the red globes for colour) and Old Bay with lemon seasoning, s&p to taste. Mix gently

and refrigerate for a while to blend flavours.

4. Remove from fridge, mix again, check seasoning, tweak if needed, and let stand at cool room temp until ready to serve.

For the onions I like red or yellow, scallions or Florida spring onions, if you can find them.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"