• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai ingredients in the GTA

Although we are blessed with an abundance of Asian stores in and around the GTA, Thai ingredients seem to be elusive. Does anyone know of a source of such things as Thai soy sauces and curry pastes (Massaman seems to have completely disappeared even from places where we have seen it in the past). Thanks.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

No actual prepared curry pastes, but I was at St. Lawrence market this weekend looking for Thai ingredients and managed to find some of the harder to find items like shrimp paste, pickled radish (freaky looking things) and lime leaves. I also found Thai chillis, lemon grass, Thai basil, and palm sugar. There was a large selection of soy sauces, but I'm not sure what constitutes a Thai soy sauce. The only thing on my list that I wasn't able to find was galangal.