• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm a big fan of crumpets but find most available in the supermarkets are a bit lacking , Warburton's crumpets are the clear winner of the commercially made as far as taste goes but i'd like to make my own.

I've made them once using the recipe from The Cook's Book but they just weren't that great. can anyone point me in the direction of a good crumpet recipe?

(for those from outside the UK who are unfamiliar with crumpets - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet )

Jam on a crumpet? That has never occured to me before!

Surely crumpets are spongey because they are a the ideal recepticle for industrial quantities of butter - when it's soaked through to the plate underneath you're onto a winner!

BTW I'm sure Nigella Lawson had a recipe but never tried it so I can't vouch for it.....

I'll give Delia's recipe a whirl and see if i can hunt down Nigella's. Though those replies bring me onto another question - what's good on crumpets?

Bit of a butter purist myself, for me crumpets largely exist to hold as much as melted butter as possible.

We have a jam fan above

Cheese on crumpets is good and my girlfriend is a fan of marmite on the, (ergh!)

what else do you put on crumpets?

Crumpets were made for butter and marmite, but there's one thing better than marmite, and that's vegemite, as I have it now and as I used to have it back in the 70's at boarding school in Sydney Australia....

• 3 weeks later...

Strangely I've never particularly liked Warburton's crumpets myself, somehow they're too bready. I prefer a cheap supermarket own brand for some reason.

I've tried Fearnley Whittingstall's crumpet recipe before, but never found it to be quite satisfactory. I'm not sure you can make a crumpet at home that can hold more than it's own weight in butter, like any good industrial crumpet can.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
On 6/20/2012 at 4:27 AM, Franci said:

I made this and it turned out really well!

@Franci: thanks for that recommendation, many years ago! I got around to making crumpets using that recipe, and they are quite good. It's fun watching the bubbles start to form, and then set. Here's the action, and most of the finished batch:

20200505_131319.jpg

And here's the money shot. I've eaten two, slathered with butter. Very rich. Delicious.

20200505_131442.jpg

How shall I store these things? Wrapped tightly and frozen?

• Like 6
  • Delicious 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

They look really good @Smithy , crumpets are the ultimate comfort food in our house.  I haven't made them in a while though (and as I don't have rings mine are pikelets rather than crumpets) ! Our homemade ones always get devoured on the day they're made but we freeze shop bought ones, and toast straight from frozen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I tried out another crumpet recipe, this one from a Washington Post article about what to do with extra sourdough starter. Their recipe is here: Sourdough Crumpets

20200526_154900.jpg

I don't like this recipe as well as the one I tried earlier; I find the flavor a bit too sour and I'm sure it depends on the quality of the starter. You're supposed to start with nonrefreshed starter, but I think my nonrefreshed starter was a bit too old and would have benefited from refreshment. That said, I did use up the extra starter! Aside from that, I'm happy with this batch. I have a better feel for the needed consistency of the batter (I thinned mine slightly) and the heat needed, so these have great texture. As for the flavor: well, some crabapple jelly (see the lower right image) helped. I may end up using honey yet!

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've been making crumpets with my discarded sourdough starter as well.

The back one is with butter and honey, the front with jam and ricotta cheese.

IMG_5451.thumb.JPG.c5af11919a186029ffaecae79c61462f.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog